bushcraft kitchen knife idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have an idea for a specific kitchen knife for bushcraft environment. It is based round the J Adams knives which I have sold on British Blades and use myself
These are hand made so it may be possible to get something a little different but along the same lines for a more bushcraft friendly kitchen knife.
The current knives are designed for use in the catering industry so are very basic design (no bolsters) and the person that makes them doesn’t make many other knives to keep the workshop and production costs down
Here is the thread on British Blades with the current knives he makes.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5338
The plan would be to make the blade shorter. But keep the handle size of the 6” knife (maybe a little bigger). I have a design which I’ll try and get onto the net for you to look at. If there is sufficient interest I would then take this to the local cutlers and get in touch with the guy that makes the kitchen knives.
Since it would be going in your pack it would of course need some sort of sheath, I would guess kydex would be most suitable but leather would also be possible. If there is interest I will contact people who deal with making these.

My thanks to Danzo for the initial idea

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
just to let people know there has been a bit of developement in the plan. It would know be for a set with a couple of knives, sharpening steel and a carry case (I have a design but I'm keeping that to myself for the time been) it may all end up een very standard stuff yet hand picked for the outdoor life. I expect a test kit to be made up at least

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'll have another chat with danzo. I don't know who would make the pouch if it went into production but it should be fairly simple so not too much trouble. I think I could knock one up for a prototype or failing that my mother is a dab hand with that sort of thing.

The kit would include a boning knife, what size would people want? they currently do a six inch blade but I thought that might bew a little big so was going to ask them to make a five inch blade instead.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Oh good they do a five inch boning knife. Oddly the knives they show on the site are the plastic handle jobs. I've heard these are crap. I wonder why they don't show the nicer looking wooden ones. I have contacted them regarding this project so I'll let you know what they say. Given that the catering knives aren't avaliable off the site they may not sell these to the gereral public, If thats the caes I will have to keep a shop involved
Would people want the knives in carbon or stainless steel?

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
These are very good knives folks and I think a shorter blade (and ideally a thicker tang and chunkier handle), all of which are very 'do-able', would turn them into a strong little second knife for camp and food work.

They are VERY good value for money. I liked the regular kitchen one enough to order a couple from Andy to supplement the Kasumi chefs knife I'm getting!

:super:

Danzo

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
maddave said:
Sorry guys.......

Bushcraft or no, there's only one knife that belongs in a kitchen.

SABATIER !!!

what a pointless name, been sold off and is made by goodness knows how many people with no standard of quality. most of them I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. kitchen knives were a bit of a buisness for me. If you want to find out more feel free to pm me.

Even the first ones had a rather major problem according to some people

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
value for money is so poor.
I may do a pass around of my J adams knife (knives now)

Mr Adams will not make any knives different to though which are already made. That list however is much larger then I thought. There is scope for putting a kit togeather from what he already does. (green rive 5 inch spear point with a boning knife for eg)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE