Bushcraft jobs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
Forestery / tree surgery / fencing / wall craft would be a great start to get you out in the wilderness... And then with the cash you make, you could study outdoor leadership, canoeing instruction, rock climbing, map reading - ect

The destination is known, the harderst part is knowing HOW to take the first step on the road.

Good luck

8)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Denny, a bit of common sense here...enjoy bushcraft as a hobby; thats all it will ever be for 99% of those in the hobby.

Your very young, still in school so work hard and train in something that will be enough to get you work. Train to be a builder/plumber/electrician, earn a degree in something useful. When you have a job that can keep a roof over your head then you can go off and look at the very slim chance of earning money from bushcraft which is really very very slim.

Even the ones here who make some money from 'bushcraft' don't make much so stick it out in school/university et al and think about a bushcraft career in maybe ten years time.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Denny, a bit of common sense here...enjoy bushcraft as a hobby; thats all it will ever be for 99% of those in the hobby.

Your very young, still in school so work hard and train in something that will be enough to get you work. Train to be a builder/plumber/electrician, earn a degree in something useful. When you have a job that can keep a roof over your head then you can go off and look at the very slim chance of earning money from bushcraft which is really very very slim.

Even the ones here who make some money from 'bushcraft' don't make much so stick it out in school/university et al and think about a bushcraft career in maybe ten years time.

Advice noted but would you rather be poor and doing a job you love or rich and in one you hate?

My grandfather once told me dad to go into a job like a builder or plumber, he was interested in gardening but grandad said there was no money in it. my dad when all the way to collage and did plumbing there but it was not what he wanted to do...
He left as soon as he could and persuade a job in gardening becoming a landscaper.

This lead on to him starting a nursery with my mum. They became cookoobox nursery and have won numerous rhs gold medals and a best in show at rhs halls. Granted you didn't ask my parents life story 😉 my point is my grandad (not calling you old 😂)said he would never make it but he did so what's to stop me?

Denny

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Advice noted but would you rather be poor and doing a job you love or rich and in one you hate?

My grandfather once told me dad to goy into a job like a builder or plumber, he was interested in gardening but grandad said there was no money in it. my dad when all the way to collage and did plumbing there but it was not what he wanted to do...
He left as soon as he could and persuade a job in gardening becoming a landscaper.

This lead on to him starting a nursery with my mum. They became cookoobox nursery and have won numerous rhs gold medals and a best in show at rhs halls. Granted you didn't ask my parents life story �� my point is my grandad (not calling you old ��)said he would never make it but he did so what's to stop me?

Denny

‎Difficult to argue with that!
‎
I would suggest being a little more focused on the skill sets that will complement a career in bushcraft, whatever that might be beyond the services offered by Woodlore‎,  and gain as many recognised qualifications as you can. 

No need to list them again as extensively covered throughout the above ‎posts but I would definitely suggest talking to the Forestry Commission and establish what  formal education they look for in candidates as a starting point. 

Above all take time to set out  what it is about this bushcraft malarkey that actually attracts you. ‎ It may prove painfully revealing.

Best of luck and remember this post when you've your own brand of outdoor clothing and woodland accessories!

K‎
‎
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
howdi

i thoroughly recommend working for the National Trust. i volunteered with them for about a year and learned so much about the countryside. its also a good way of observing how the seasons progress as you would be working outside every day. you could try Leeds Castle for voluntary opportunities, or there are some good countryside projects around kent which i have briefly worked with.

doing some kind of full time course is great as well. i did a diploma in countryside management when i finished school. this could help open a few employment options to yourself and you could progress to degree level.

hope this helps later dudes

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Why don't you look at joining up? Quite a few trades in the military will take you down a route that will give you real world 'Bushcraft' experience and you can gain qualifications along the way.

The Joint Service Adventurous Training scheme offers some fantastic opportunities for travel and for gaining civilian NGB qualifications. Some trades deal with survival training and equipment which ultimately is a very similar skill set.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

My grandfather once told me dad to go into a job like a builder or plumber, he was interested in gardening but grandad said there was no money in it. my dad when all the way to collage and did plumbing there but it was not what he wanted to do...

This lead on to him starting a nursery with my mum. They became cookoobox nursery and have won numerous rhs gold medals and a best in show at rhs halls. Granted you didn't ask my parents life story 😉 my point is my grandad (not calling you old 😂)said he would never make it but he did so what's to stop me?

Denny

Little or no opportunities.

A schoolboy has the freedom to think its OK living on peanuts...adults with family don't;)

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
The Joint Service Adventurous Training scheme offers some fantastic opportunities for travel and for gaining civilian NGB qualifications. Some trades deal with survival training and equipment which ultimately is a very similar skill set.

+1 to this ! My old Dad is an ex-JSMTC instructor (Green Beret Commando Gunner) after coming out of active service, he went on to teach soldiers wilderness survival and alpine climbing . After he retired from the mob completley, he went on to work for a few different wildness "experience" companies... one of which was very rewarding (and one that i managed to join a few of the courses) Young lads who were in trouble with the law, instead of going to a Young Offenders Istitution, they had ex-forces guys chuck them off a boat near a Scottish island, a forced hike for 2 days, and during the afternoons, shown bushcraft and survival skill, map reading, ect.

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
The company still exists. Use your favorite search engine to look for "Airbourne Initiative" thats one of the companies... but they only offer these courses to young adults in the justice system, and the instructors are all ex-forces.
If you are serious, and want to get an education, and an outdoor education at the same time, look at this http://university.which.co.uk/unive...vid-t80/outdoor-education-3-years-7500-x390-c - I have a friend who did this course, he is now one of the most experienced ski patrolers in the country, and has certificates in many outdoor pursuits.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive spent my life as a no hoper due to health, so its not really my place to give careers advice.

Military route? How old do you have to be to join the Auxillary air force? (like TA but better respected)

Lots of volentary opportunities with the Scouts still? Im not sure

(Now I am busy being a no hoper on a degree course...School days may not be the best days of your life but College and Uni...Oh boy!)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hi denny, I've been working as an instructor in outdoor education for 5 years now and teach the basics often, along with other activities.
I studied outdoor ed at Plumpton college which offers a variety of degree, NVQ and other courses including games keeping, forestry and the like. I'd suggest having a look for courses there. Hope it helps

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Merristwood college used to have a number of good courses. I did the BTech National Diploma in Countryside Recreation (3 years full time). It provided training to become a warden / ranger. They also do very highly regarded tree surgery courses......only a option if you are not afraid of heights!

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
Hi denny, I've been working as an instructor in outdoor education for 5 years now and teach the basics often, along with other activities.
I studied outdoor ed at Plumpton college which offers a variety of degree, NVQ and other courses including games keeping, forestry and the like. I'd suggest having a look for courses there. Hope it helps
This was going to be my suggestion, a lot of outdoor education companies run basic bushcraft as an activity now a days. One of the reasons I got into it. And I don't want to go on a downer here but be warned, outdoor education entry jobs are hard work, long hours little pay and you work bloody hard. But if you can hack it things get better. But a lot of companies take on 18 yr old youngest. And most aren't full time, usually seasonal. Vacancies in the companies that are the best are like rocking horse dropping.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
This was going to be my suggestion, a lot of outdoor education companies run basic bushcraft as an activity now a days. One of the reasons I got into it. And I don't want to go on a downer here but be warned, outdoor education entry jobs are hard work, long hours little pay and you work bloody hard. But if you can hack it things get better. But a lot of companies take on 18 yr old youngest. And most aren't full time, usually seasonal. Vacancies in the companies that are the best are like rocking horse dropping.
Very true.

leon-1

Why don't you look at joining up? Quite a few trades in the military will take you down a route that will give you real world 'Bushcraft' experience and you can gain qualifications along the way.

A lot of the jobs that used to be available are no longer there. Many of the specialized centres have been closed down and the training has been outsourced to civilian companies.

+1 to this ! My old Dad is an ex-JSMTC instructor (Green Beret Commando Gunner) after coming out of active service, he went on to teach soldiers wilderness survival and alpine climbing . After he retired from the mob completley, he went on to work for a few different wildness "experience" companies... one of which was very rewarding (and one that i managed to join a few of the courses) Young lads who were in trouble with the law, instead of going to a Young Offenders Istitution, they had ex-forces guys chuck them off a boat near a Scottish island, a forced hike for 2 days, and during the afternoons, shown bushcraft and survival skill, map reading, ect.

By all means have a go at getting outdoor ed qualifications from the military JSMEL (summer and winter) and ML qualifications are handy ones to have.

As an ex serviceman who has Bushcraft as a hobby and teaches Bushcraft and Survival I'll tell you that there is quite a difference between loving Bushcraft and teaching it. I would say that you'll probably enjoy 1 in 10 courses. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) can be highly limited, you should always be learning with Bushcraft and normally you won't get a chance to do this in work, that will be done of your own back and in your own time, at a cost to you.

You will have to have a current first aid certificate, CRB at least and you'll have to register as self employed. You may have to get your own bushcraft insurance as well, being able to drive is a must as you'll need to be able to get to various locations for courses that you may be assissting on.

A lot of the time you will be limited on the amount of work coming through and the money that you make from courses will have to stretch quite a way. A lot of the work you get will be weekends when your mates are out having fun. The Winter months are the hardest and a lot of the time you're gonna need a second job to keep you going.

Nov 5, 2014
Lake District
Hey Denny,
My 2 pence worth: ML is always going to a good move. It's a gateway qual but you can also earn with it straight away. I also second the notion of working with the scouts. In terms of bushcraft business potential and acumen then I'd say go the outdoor leader route at a college or uni which has a campus in the countryside(University of Cumbria for example) and think about developing skills toward being a river fishing guide for the $$$'s. ANother thing which may be of interest is an apprenticship in coppicing http://www.coppiceapprentice.org.uk/.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE