Bushcraft in Peterborough area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i started the East Anglia group a few years ago, we haven't been up to much recently but take a look on the slightly older pages you will find us!
it's well worth your while most of the group have a wealth of information Fenlander has his own Bushcraft course and i work for woodland survival crafts, I can say you are sure to get along with everyone very easily, if you have transport it's a great group i have been to several meetups and each has plesant memouries;)

also one of us is called "Westnorfolk" he lives near Kings lynn, it's worth PM'ing him.
i have parents in law that live near wisbech which i visit quite often and can use thier farm land for bushcrafty stuff! :)

the other option if you have transport is the new Norwich/Norfolk group, i know it's a fair way but you are welcome to join us we are meeting up this sunday check the thread for more info! or just PM me for details.

if you are interested in the EastAnglia group you need to contact Fenlander he knows whats going on. :D

hope to meet you soon! :D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
We had a nice trip out to woodland near Rutland Water not long ago. Nice and local, easy to get to and a really good site, with permission to have fires etc.

Locally, you are pretty much stuck to either finding a landowner who will let you use his land, or, just going out for the day and using the local Forestry Com places to get lost in.

I go to Bourne Woods mostly, as you can get off the busy tracks and find some lovely quiet spots right down the back end. Wakerley and Fineshades are nice too as you can get right out the back and just sit and relax in peace and quiet. You can practice most of the skills there (barring fires of course, and chopping down of stuff) I collect fallen wood and sometimes set up my bivvy etc for a few hours and carve something useless from a lump of wood. Holme Wood (go through Yaxley and out towards Holme) is nearly all silver birch and is reasonably quiet too.

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Blimey thats a crap map they supply - you can see the reserve ok but none of the place names are legible - use Hod Fen Drove, Holme, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7 as the search in http://maps.google.co.uk/ and you can see the reserve to the right of the pointer :) think I might have a wander down one dinner time and scope the place out, got to be better than sitting in the car park eating lol :D

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Had a (very) quick look on the way home last night - anyone know if there's somewhere to park your car (don't want to take up a passing place lol)

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Fenlander said:
You will have to park in the passing places I'm afraid and be warned, it's not a safe place to leave your car :(

Ahhh I'll pass then :) didn't realise it was a dodgy area around Holme, seems like a nice place ...

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
check out the
Norwich & Norfolk thread
or the
East Anglia group thread

i have put details of an upcoming weekend camp,
it's open to anyone in the general east anglia area,
makje sure you tell us if you want to come!

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
As said it's best to use the passing places to park in.
It has been known for cars to be broken into there, I've never had any problems when I visited, though I know some dog walkers who have. Same old story really, if you don't leave anything on display that looks worth stealing, most crooks won't bother.

If you don't mind a bit of a walk, you could just park up in Holme itself and walk to the woods. At least then there are more people around in the village, maybe finish the trip with a nice pint at the Admiral Wells Pub. Mind you Kane, if you are close by just park up at work and walk in.

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
[We had a nice trip out to woodland near Rutland Water not long ago. Nice and local, easy to get to and a really good site, with permission to have fires etc.]

This site sounds good . Where is it ? whats it called

Cheers Chris

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Its at the Rutland Falconry Centre site. Just off the main road after you've gone through Whitwell, you turn right at the Barnsdale Hotel and follow the sign posts.

Caretaker arranged it all for us along with Fenlander.

If you speak to Caretaker he may be able to organise a East Anglian Group event there again. There are certain rules that the site owner likes us to abide by so it's best to arrange anything thru the proper channels via the chaps here.

I'd be keen to go again for sure as it was a really nice place.

Oct 22, 2015
Peterborough
I'm in Peterborough looking to get out bushcrafting I've got all my gear but nowhere to go nor any like minded people to go with I'm up for a meet and forage I'm in borough 👍🏻

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE