Bushcraft featured on the Today program.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Just turned on my radio and John Humphries is going to talk about why more and more people are learning bushcraft. Cant wait to hear what is said. Is this bushcraft entering the main stream?

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Hope i am not the only one who thought the guy Paul was very dismissive of the whole concept of bushcraft. Talk about pompous. Still as Ray said it is the qualities that one get's from the study of bushcraft that are important, perhaps I should go sit in the rain and try and learn some humility :rolleyes:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Cheers for the heads up! As scanker says it's now on listen again. Seems like 5 minutes of argument between a token antagonist and somebody defending the subject. Not that I'm attacking it - still worth a listen.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Darn missed that this morning. My Wife is away so I slept in the hammock in the garden. Had the dawn chorus to wake upto rather than the clock radio :D
Thanks for the heads up, I'll catch it on listen again.
Cheers
Rich

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
All a bit pointless really - like getting a golf pro on and someone who thinks it's crap and asking them to discuss golf. Paul Roseby used to present Flavours of Britain on UK Food didn't he?

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
That was quite good! Although why anyone should consider the artistic director from the National Youth Theatre as having any sort of informed opinion about bushcraft I don't know! He talked of disadvantaged kids from inner cities benefiting from his work, having earlier said we should all be chasing comfort and hotel rooms. The latter are not particularly accesible to the kids he was describing!

It was a little unclear why the article was featured at all. Perhaps some researcher was included on one of the new magazine distribution lists?

Thanks for the link Scanker!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I heard the interview and I thought that RM did well.It was not a serious discussion on bushcraft at all.This was used as a filler and Humphries was obviously out to take the p/ss.

This is just another example of the dumbing down of the Beeb.
Not happy with the way Radio 4 is going at all. :(

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I thought Ray Mears did well to keep his cool. This was clearly intended as an entertainment piece with Bushcraft as the football. The suggestion, at least at my reading, was that bushcraft, outside of a real-world survival situation, is nothing more than escapism. Rather in the way the media viewed the longhaired commune type back in the 60’ and 70’s. The protagonist went on to suggest that we would be far better served (cured?) by engaging in something hitherto to be referred to as “Urbancraft”. Such, apparently, does not involve seeking out edible flora in the side streets and lock-ups of South London, but rather risking life & limb through ‘engagement’ with those fellow citizens we would normally (and with mostly good reason) avoid like the plague. This was to somehow liberate us from our unfortunate malady and the need for escape beneath a woodland comfort blanket, thus enabling the rather ‘sad’ disciples of bushcraft to participate more meaningfully with the world as to be found in 2006.

Sadly though the programme showed little sign of moving onto debate what type of knife was best suited to this new and dangerous craft. Perhaps though this was simply too obvious and neither Humphries nor Mears could bring themselves to state: The bl--dy biggest one!!!!

Cheers

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Stickie said:
I've no PC at home and the work one doesn't have speakers so can someone tell me what 'the protagonist' does that so connected to the reality of 2006.
He puts on plays. Not that thats escapist or anything, oh no.
Really it was just a pointless filler piece.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
useless said:
That was quite good! Although why anyone should consider the artistic director from the National Youth Theatre as having any sort of informed opinion about bushcraft I don't know! He talked of disadvantaged kids from inner cities benefiting from his work, having earlier said we should all be chasing comfort and hotel rooms. The latter are not particularly accesible to the kids he was describing!

It was a little unclear why the article was featured at all. Perhaps some researcher was included on one of the new magazine distribution lists?

Thanks for the link Scanker!

Ah! but aint you the master of fine and reasoned words, eh?
I listened to the first 3 min and my considered opinion, is that the guy just spoke a load of unmitigated balls!

Howzat sound?

Ceeg

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Go Ray!

I doubt he really cares about some silly person from the National Theatre slating his love - Ray's the one with his own TV show, and he could certainly take him a fight.

The other impression I got is that while they were saying 'Bushcraft', they were thinking of 'Survival'

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dommyracer said:
Go Ray!

I doubt he really cares about some silly person from the National Theatre slating his love - Ray's the one with his own TV show, and he could certainly take him a fight.

The other impression I got is that while they were saying 'Bushcraft', they were thinking of 'Survival'

Yep,me too.

Mind you neither of the two "antis" had a clue what they were talking about whether they were thinking bushcraft or survival. :rolleyes:

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Have to agree with the majority on this, ray mears came across very well, seems to have been a bit of a **** take however with no room for reasoned argument.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
I heard it on the day. While RM did perfect and kept his cool I was steaming! I just found it such a bloody waste of RM's time... the presenter even had to say:-

"Come on, defend yourself!"

Then that Paul Rosby was attacking RM for what he did, the uneducated tw*t! Really RM is above all that, he has educated himself on so many levels, has such respect and understanding of nature so I don't get why people felt the need to drag him through this. Instead if they really wanted to know something about Bushcraft they should/would have invited him solely to explain and tell all about this lifestyle.

One thing that did stick with me:-

"If you plant a seed in concrete it will not grow but if you plant it in healthy soil it does"

Ray was very respectful to an individual who was clearly out to get him and I have great respect for that, just goes to show what kind of man he is and what uneducated man he had to deal with who has obviously no experiences of what wonderful experiences nature has to offer.

After hearing it I couldnt stop bumping my gums about it for the rest of the morning to anyone I met... Grrr good thing that PAul Rosby didnt cross my path that day!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'm with the majority here too...
I'm impressed that RM did keep his cool, I sure as hell wouldn't have if some pompous *** tried to tell me what it "should be about".
And I'm also 100% certain that if you took a dozen messed up youths and put them in some Canadian forests with RM and then another dozen in the theatre with that snob, the Bushcraft ones would come out a helluva lot more upstanding and proud than the theatre ones. Easier to talk to as well.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I found the interview very refreshing.

Ray steers well away from difficult questions and negative interviews as he feels they damage the Mears image. It was nice to see Ray being but under a little bit of pressure and he handled it well although you could hear his frustration in his voice at the end.

It would have been interesting if it had been a 30 minuet interview. I think we would have heard a very stressed Mear.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Adi Fiddler said:
I found the interview very refreshing.

Ray steers well away from difficult questions and negative interviews as he feels they damage the Mears image. It was nice to see Ray being but under a little bit of pressure and he handled it well although you could hear his frustration in his voice at the end.

It would have been interesting if it had been a 30 minuet interview. I think we would have heard a very stressed Mear.

This doesnt damage the image, only makes him stronger.

Put RM under pressure for what he does? Why!!! He was not on the today programme for a political viewpoint. He doesnt damage the earth in what he does, in fact he does the oppposite and creates awareness + respect for nature by the general public!

Yes he did sound a little peed off by the end. Probably because of that uneducated snob and the silly comments thrown at him.

Why would you have a negative interview about BUSHCRAFT?

RM is a very developed man, who has worked with many tribes, cultures in many regions of this planet. He got his priority in the right order. We wouldnt have such a damaged and unsaveable earth if world leaders followed his advice!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Adi Fiddler said:
I couldn't have stood it for that long.

The pompus snob had alread decided that he had achived some pinnacle in what he called civilisation (hot and old water, hotels) and started off by trying to riddicule bushcraft. What is the saying about people who try to become famous by putting down the work of others?

How many people has he REALLY inspired? maybe a hundred?

How many has Ray Mears insipred? One of two more I would say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE