Bushcraft DVD ebay

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Anybody know anything about this? I need a volunteer to buy one before I spend my own money :)

"bushcraft and Survival DVD by NEW EXPERT
Item number: 7216554473
Buy it now £9.99

In this first volume Peter shows you how to survive in the woodlands of Britain in the Autumn
He shows you step by step on fire lighting
How to make your water safe to drink
How to make a bush first aid kit
How to find direction using the sun
What clothes to wear
Knots
And what he carries in his rucksack and much more!!!"

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Fallow Way said:
turns out he lives two minutes from me and the pictures look very much like my back garden, ie Cannock Chase :)

Time for you to do your duty; don the auld rain mac and dark glasses and do some spying.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Well I have taken the bull by the proverbial and ordered myself one (from ebay as it was £3 cheaper than the website:confused: )

Anyhow - will give you all an update once it arrives and I find time to watch it!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I note that in ebay he (petergaw) has received 17 positive feedback scores himself but that he has left no feedback for others at all.
It dosen't exactly inspire confidence.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just finished watching it and sat here wondering how to review it.....

So…….

Technical

Although nicely shot for an amateur? film the sound lets it down a bit.

There are some nice shots of nature but sometimes felt they had been bunged in to fill gaps and bulk it out.

Some shots, for example the knot tying section, were shot in such a way that you couldn’t see clearly what he was trying to teach you. Also at times the editing missed out the bit where something was actually done. How the shelter is to be made is described then next moment a complete shelter is shown!

Content

Peter has a laid back style of presenting In fact so laid back at times it didn’t hold my attention
The DVD jumps about a lot and I found I was getting rather irritated with the 'here is something! - I’ll tell you about it later' style. If you show me it – tell me about it! I felt there was no natural progression throughout the DVD it felt like lots of separate items rather than a ‘story’ The way it kept going back to a topic felt like it was forgotten before rather than recapping.

Well if I said the guy likes his kit, I wouldn't be way off the mark!! (don’t get me wrong – I’m a gear junkie myself which which the wife will wholeheartedly agree!)
For a DVD labelled ‘bushcraft and survival’ the emphasis seemed to be on what was in his rucksack not how to live and survive by your skills.
I also questioned some of the comments / advice and noticed that some of the advice contradicted itself for example one minute Peter states he tries not to carry anything that he can’t use for more than one thing then proceeds to show 2 watches!

Areas covered

Clothing advice

Keeping dry

3 x Stove demonstration / appraisal

Lighting fires

Kit demonstration (this is what I carry in my 120L Bergen) – will not list it as it is a rather large list!

Basic navigation

How to purify water

Making shelter

Basic knot tying

Plus other assorted small ‘tips’

Summery

Having commented as I have I feel very guilty as it is better then something I would create myself I’m sure! I guess I was expecting the next Ray Mears so consequently was disappointed! Especially as he is billing himself as ‘New Expert’

My overall conclusion - save up and get one of Rays! - I could have lived with it not being as professional as long as the content made up for it but personally I don’t think it did.

Score 5/10

NB – this is obviously my opinion! – It is not meant as a personal attack!!!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Thanks for the excellent review.
I might just buy a DVD for myself, even if it is only to prove to the wife that I'm not the only nuter on the planet.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
had only seen the first one from michel blomgren so am downloading 2 & 3 at this very minute! ;)

his have to win if nothing else because they are free!

the downside is the subtitles - would be great if you could overdub it :rolleyes:

Porcupine said:
g4ghb,

if you were to rate it against the the films made by the bloke at www.bushcraft.se wich would win?

i have to admit those movies are (imo) very good and get across the point.

Porc

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
g4ghb said:
had only seen the first one from michel blomgren so am downloading 2 & 3 at this very minute! ;)

the downside is the subtitles - would be great if you could overdub it :rolleyes:

Your in luck as the third one has been dubed and is great

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
g4ghb said:

His latest short is in English, or 'swenglish' as he puts it.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Yup - just noticed that! :D - I think they are v good and this has just made them better (assumeing the rest will be in swenglish too!;) )

redcollective said:
His latest short is in English, or 'swenglish' as he puts it.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
i`ve just watched it with a mate that bought it..........its.........interesting :)

There is a scene where i promise you, if you know the first thing about bushcraft, you will shiver and possibly swear out loud like i did :)

He makes a huuuuuuuge claim.................a New Expert................................................judge for yourself :)

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
ok, to stir your interests i`ll briefly preview one of the lessons.....

you know those little sharp things we have a habit of carrying? no no, not your wit, the other thing..

you know how we’re real fickle about generally looking after them, be they cheap and cheerful Mora or nice and dandy Alan Wood jobbies, as they can kind of do everything for us....

well he demonstrated how you can just plunge them straight into the ground......rather than place it someone or even waste aaaalllllll that time putting it into the sheath.....no..just stick it straight into the ground....even if, like he, your using a not so cheap micarta handled Wilkinson Woodlore......

....anyone tempted yet? :) He is an Expert after all :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE