Bushcraft Crooked and Hook Knives

Jan 11, 2009
Texas, USA
I've been making crooked and hook knives for a long time using them to make selfbows, walking sticks, canoe paddles, spoons, bowls, camp furniture and the like. I've posted a video on YouTube explaining the design dynamics of these two types of knives, things that a lot of people may not be aware of. Over the next few weeks I'll post more videos showing how to use these tools in specific bushcraft situations. The video also shows some "hybrid" designs incorporating the design elements of both the true crooked knife and the hook knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qpVW5r15M

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Beautiful tools, Woods Roamer, and very informative.

Maybe, as Robin says, it was 30 seconds too long after you'd delivered your info but I like the relaxed, confident manner of presentation.
I'm also much better informed now about the anatomy of a crooked knife.

Thanks!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Welcome to BCUK. Thanks for posting the video, Woods Roamer. I am a fan of crooked knives and have made quite a few over the past couple of years. I learned the hard way about the various angles on the blades, and the shape and size of handles, as there was not that much to be found about the crooked knives. I am making a fancy looking one at the moment, I'll post some pics when it's done. Looking forward to your other videos. I'd love to see some pictures of your bows too!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks for that. I enjoyed the video. I kind of like your relaxed style. I would look forward to seeing more of your work. If I had a criticism, it is one in common with many youtube videos - that we don't get to see your face.

I was wondering whether you have seen this thread. It shows another interesting way of using a carving tool which i had never imagined.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE