Bushcraft Courses - Worth doing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Hi All,

Long time lurker occasional poster here. Had a very busy year this year, so haven't got out much but next year is looking promising and it's looking good for taking the spring and summer off work. Got a few things planned, but would serously like to get some bushcrafty type stuff in the under me boots.
Bit of info, I'm ex army and did an escape and evasion course whilst serving. I'm also an experienced walker and camper and occasaional backpacker. My fire lighting and camping skills are pretty good, but not excellent. Is it worth doing a bushcraft course or should I just find a convienient bit of woodland and have a blast?

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I’ve never done a bushcraft course so I can’t categorically say whether they’re worth it or not but I rather suspect not. I’d much rather put the money towards a good book on what I’m not sure of and some basic kit and get out there and do it.

Learning by your own mistakes and developing your own ideas are probably the most rewarding and enjoyable bits so I’d avoid being spoon fed.

There’s a bit of an industry sprung up to do the spoon feeding which is all well and good if you’re after a social outing or are really stumped on something like bow drilling but if you’re pretty competent I’d say head out yourself or with some friends on your own bushcraft course.

Whatever you decide Enjoy! :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm another self taught practitioner, but I'd not discourage you from doing a course. For alot of people with frantic modern lives it's a great way to pack alot of knowledge into a limited timeframe. But it sounds like you'll have some time to really practice next year so I'd say try to get to some meet ups near you and learn from other members here. I've never encountered anyone on BCUK who wasn't willing to share knowledge and advice freely.

leon-1

I would say yes it is worth doing courses, by all means practice at your liesure, but some things are better shown than read about. It also means that you will get advice on technique with certain skills that you cannot get from books.

It is also worth getting in touch with other bushcrafters in your area where you can share and practice skills.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
while i would say it's worth going on a course, i'd also have a look in the meet up forum.
go to your nearest meet. learn from the others around you. there is usually someone who knows a subject well enough to teach it.
having someone to show you where you're going wrong can save you hours of frustration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE