Bushcraft clothing on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
I've had a number of pairs of the Cragghoppers Kiwi trousers, and I have to say I really don't like them. Great at first but they always tear in the groin, and the waist can be pretty chafing at the moment. I'm pretty mad about the Fjallraven Barents trousers, but if you can't afford them you can still pick up good old-fashioned British Army Lightweights for £5-10 a pair.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I've had a number of pairs of the Cragghoppers Kiwi trousers, and I have to say I really don't like them. Great at first but they always tear in the groin, and the waist can be pretty chafing at the moment. I'm pretty mad about the Fjallraven Barents trousers, but if you can't afford them you can still pick up good old-fashioned British Army Lightweights for £5-10 a pair.

I agree. The Craghoppers are just not comfortable.

I find my Fjallravens to be very comfortable but their price for what are after all just polycotton trousers is ridiculous.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could always get a charity shop sewing machine, cheap fabric off the market and ...make your own custom gear!
That is how I started a career that ended up (high point) with my designing for Craghoppers (for a short while - as a freelance:) ) and I sold many a copy of my DIY books :D

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just bought some un-issued Brit Army lightweights £10.
So now have Trousers, Boots, fleeces tops (norgie) Poncho & 3 in 1 shelltex jacket/fleece so seem to have most of the right kit at last.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you do fancy a goretex or an MVP get on fleabay and look at the army surplus ones on there, most are in the desert pattern now but its waterproof and breathable and thats what counts.
commando socks are a good buy, they're reletively cheep and mostly wool (70%?) with polyester so keep you warm and still insulate when wet

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
Dont forget charity shops - lots of decent kit in there...and if you ask nicely many will hold gear for you if you drop in fairly often...

Seconded! This week I picked up a pair of North Face Apex trousers for less than a fiver. Looked at their website and they're going for £110!!

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I'd recommend the charity shop route - I have 2 brand new pairs of craghoppers that cost me £3 each, a load of shirts for £1 each, leather gloves for 1.50 and a couple of pairs of boots for £5 each, oh and an M65 type jacket (waxed from H&M) for £8.
Plus loads of hand tools, books, dvd's, cd's etc. You have to be there at the right time, but I just head out on a fortnightly basis and see what comes up.

Magentus

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Most of my outdoorsy stuff involves cycling and camping. I'd always go for synthetic fabrics (and no, I don't mean the day-glow lycra stuff). I get a lot of stuff from Decathlon, but always steer clear of cotton, as it takes too long to dry. The Decathon stuff is really good, cheap, comfortable, and most of all, normal looking.

I second Decathlon - I have a dark grey waterproof from there, paid about £25 so I don't mind if I end up scrambling through brambles, and I also bought a pair of Geologic fishing/outdoors trousers in green, £15.

I would certainly steer clear of the Real Tree and too much DPM - it just tends to give the wrong impressions to landowners and members of the public. I do use DPM pouches on my belt, and that was purely a cost thing. At the time I could get WebTex or Brit-issue pouches for about a quarter of the price of green or black :)

Personally I like Snugpak for bags, but then again I got into Snugpak when I was doing a little third-party work for them, so got a couple at cost. I know that a few people on here have issues with Snugpak sleeping bags (I think it's sleeping bags) but I've only ever had one split on a bag and that was my own stupidity.

I've found that as long as you aren't wearing really bright clothes, you still get to see all of the wildlife that the woods has to offer - you just have to blend in to a degree, you don't have to blend in to the point where even a soldier can't spot you :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE