bushcraft career?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rarky B

Aug 19, 2010
dartford
Hey mat mac, check out the Forestry Commission and National Trust web sites for what sort of careers there are. There's various other employers too like county councils, private estates and charities. Many of them own land and employ people in various outdoor roles. Need a land management degree for the better paid jobs though. Alternatively take some Bushcraft/survival courses and you could end up an instructor... Working for Bushcraft Expeditions! Or you could of course become a surgeon or barrister and earn so much you could be off every other week (to go trekking).................................
good luck
Rarky

chears u guys. uve made me a hell of alot ess scared lol im found a uni tht does a wicked forestry course but still not sure its in wales gona look soon. called Bangor? dono if anyone knows it. And again thank u 4 the support etc u guys r sound

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I had a great meeting today my school which included putting Countryside management onto our curriculum, possibly to be led by me. This thing is more and more prevalent in Education.

Look up Wiltshire College Lackham, it is an old Agricultural College which has expanded to do keepering, DMQ and Bushcraft courses. Plenty there for a lad with your interests.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
reading this topic reminds me of the following saying my father used to preach:

"make your hobby your job and you'll never have to work"

sounds like youre on the right tracks, never to late or too early for that matter to pursuit your dreams...

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
To the OP
There have been lots of replies that have had useful advice given IMHO. Sadly many of the outdoors type jobs do not pay very well at all, but that was not part of your original question.

I have done various outdoor jobs part time and enjoyed most of them.

The worst job by far (at times) was being a survival/bushcraft instructor (for civilian clients. The military courses were more fun). There were some lovely clients, but also there were an awful lot of Ramblets, and Gryllets (rambo and bear grylls wanabees), who arrived, with no knowledge, but were 'armed' with huge knives.

It was good when the students were good, and leading expeditions could be good to, but repeatedly teaching the same skill sets over and over could be tedious and mind numbing. Oddly, as I was needing to constantly keep an eye on the students, I also got to see less of nature than when I lead group walks or volunteered to do dry stone walling.

If you do decide to make your career an outdoor one, then outdoorsy qualifications will always be an advantage. When I chose not to work in outdoor environments (I worked seasonally) I had a degree and diploma's in other areas to fall back on.

Edited to add: there were of course humorous moments to teaching survival too. Despite being given extensive guidelines on what to bring, many students would bring a carrier bag to carry their gear in, and at least once a year, a female student would turn up wearing stilletos!

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Speaking from experience, if you don't like school and you know what you want to do, you're wasting two years of your life doing your A-levels.
Go on out there and try to get an apprenticeship and/or a vocational qualification in something you're interested in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE