Bushcraft Campsites overlapping threads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have started a thread on the "Out and about" page with the aim of getting members to recommend campsites that will become a sticky. Several members have indicated their support for the idea. However, as Ogri the Trog has rightly pointed out, before a thread can become a sticky it will have to have evidence of interest through a large number of posts.

The problem is that there are at least three threads which have postings of recommended sites on them but these are usually about specific requests, e.g. for family sites. or in connection with anothe topic, eg. wild camping. My idea is that posts would give enough information for members to decide which are the right sites for them, and all the information would be in one place.

I realise that there is a problem for moderation on the issue of overlapping threads and things getting posted in the wrong place. In my view this will always be a problem when efficient systems get used by human beings!

My query is: is it possible for moderators to move post on one thread onto another, or failing that to combine similar threads into one?

By the way, I would not it to be thought that my thread should be the one. I'm just pointing out that one thread devoted to just the one subject would be a useful thing to have on the site.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have started a thread on the "Out and about" page with the aim of getting members to recommend campsites that will become a sticky. Several members have indicated their support for the idea. However, as Ogri the Trog has rightly pointed out, before a thread can become a sticky it will have to have evidence of interest through a large number of posts.

The problem is that there are at least three threads which have postings of recommended sites on them but these are usually about specific requests, e.g. for family sites. or in connection with anothe topic, eg. wild camping. My idea is that posts would give enough information for members to decide which are the right sites for them, and all the information would be in one place.

I realise that there is a problem for moderation on the issue of overlapping threads and things getting posted in the wrong place. In my view this will always be a problem when efficient systems get used by human beings!

My query is: is it possible for moderators to move post on one thread onto another, or failing that to combine similar threads into one?

By the way, I would not it to be thought that my thread should be the one. I'm just pointing out that one thread devoted to just the one subject would be a useful thing to have on the site.

Copy / paste said post as a quote in a new post in your thread?

or

Just use the info from the relevant posts (if we're merging / moving posts it might go awry as the system places them in chronologic order).

Both with a linky to the original thread ("originally posted here: ...").

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Lost me already- I'm still having trouble adapting from the quill pen. I'll have to work on this one.

:lmao:

Go to the post that you think that should be in your thread (just use yours for ease, I like the bit where you've broken down the info bits like price, fire allowed, water, etc. Also good to have some structure instead of people just bunging a URL in a post without any other relevant info).
Click Reply with Quote. Select the text, copy and paste it to a new post in your thread. Also copy / paste the URL of the thread you got the info of (so it's known where the original post can be found).

HTH ;)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Good idea, perhaps something like the 'Meetups & Social chatter' area where there are sub-forums. Forum header of something like 'Bushcraft Campsites' and then the sub-forums of areas, campsite types i.e. wild or commercial, etc; etc;????????????

I'm sure there will be loads of ideas comming along and then see what Tony and the mods think, after all, they are the ones who put masses of effort in and have to sort it out.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm glad my idea has met with approval but I don't want to give the mods more work to do. Unfortunately I'm practically computer illiterate and don't understand how to move things about even when given clear advice about how to. It's my age- well that's my excuse. I really need help on this one: like someone who knows what they are doing to set it up properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE