Bushcraft calendar?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The skills do not depend on the season.
Foraging calendars might exist though.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
No, but it's an interesting idea. There might not be a lot of stuff that's dictated by the season, other than foraging and the like, but there's definitely a season that things are easier to practice, just friction fire-lighting without being rained on is nice :biggrin2: Resources for cordage and other stuff...

How do you picture the bushcraft calendar looking/working n00b?

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
How do you picture the bushcraft calendar looking/working n00b?
Well although I was told in my first thread the other day that hazel is never really out of season, there is nevertheless an optimal season for that and most resources. I'd like to see that clearly shown on a calendar - like the full range of months of availability, and the ideal range. For nettle cordage, for example, the range is long - say, spring to late autumn or even year-round, but the ideal time is the end of summer when the stalks are at their longest and strongest. For other things, the total range might be much shorter. Like when certain fluffy tinders are available. As you say, there's an optimal time for practicing certain skills too - like friction fire when dry, say late spring-early autumn but optimally summer.

Naturally you learn this knowledge over time but the idea of a calendar is to pack in as much as possible. I sometimes find skills out of season and have to wait to practice them.

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
I suppose a wiki approach for users of this forum to add to would ensure it's as comprehensive as it can be.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ray Mears’ - Outdoor Survival Handbook is broken down into seasonal activities. It’s a good read and I think it fits in with the question you are asking.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Having been unsuccessful :(

Does RM’s book include things like best time for nettles and honeysuckle etc for cordage? Even plants available cordage all year round?

I like the idea of a BcUK handbook.
If it were a ring binder type then updates could be added, an annual activity calendar and I could add my own pages and notes.

[picture shimmers as I remember my battered old filofax]

Now I’m obviously dreaming but:

Seriously it could be useful as a virtual reference on this site and pages available for download - maybe pdf. Maybe associated with membership level including basic safety and bc etiquette for guest level.

I used to get legal updates in exactly this way (but through the post by humongous subscription.)

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
Thanks for the suggestion though - I'll see if I can find it free somewhere

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE