Bushcraft Bunny Helps with Tinder :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Just a quick tip, that you may have thought of already, but just in case :)

I was practising my bow drill last weekend and needed some good tinder to put the ember into. The pet rabbit has eaten most of my long grass that I had used in the past, so I had none handy, except for the straw in his hutch.

I grabbed a handful, and it was lovely and bedded in, all pre-buffed where the bunny had laid in it.

I took out the small brown balls LOL. and it made great tinder. I have now decided to keep a good handful from each cleanout of the hutch and stash it with my bushcraft kit so that I always have a nice supply of good dry buffed tinder ready to use with my bow drill etc.

Now we have a nice understanding, so long as he does his buffing job, he will stay out of the pot :D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
:D Yeah, when I re-read the post it looks like that's what I mean doesn' it.

Just to confirm........it's the hay that makes great tinder.

The balls, when covered with a fine sprinkling of caster sugar can be passed off as small bon bons. ;)

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I bet they work fine as well as a coal extender when nice and dry and ground into powder.

Right off the bag I find the hay sometimes too wet to be used directly. This might just be proof of my lacking skills obviously... I have noticed condense drops on the inside of the bag though, when it was standing in the sun. I bought it just for fire lighting purposes, cause I don't own rodants of any sort.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I found it a bit too coarse straight from the bag.

Maybe keep a pile in a pocket and it will dry out plus the movement while you are walking about etc might buff it up a bit.

The rabbit had helped by rubbing it all up and making it nice dry and fluffy which is why it took the ember so well.

Hey (no pun intended) maybe I could sell this stuff in bags........there could be a whole market for this out there :)

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Nod said:
Now we have a nice understanding, so long as he does his buffing job, he will stay out of the pot :D

It would be rather rude of you to cook him over a fire he helped (indirectly) you to bring to flame. Have you no shame!

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE