Bushcraft Book Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you might recommend some good bushcraft / wilderness books. I've read the RM books, Lofty books & Call of the Wild (which I really enjoyed)

Thought some of you fine people would have some great reads.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Nath

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After my initiation to bushcraft with the Ray Mears books, I read Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" last year and found it much more detailed and down to earth. Admittedly it is geared up to the Canadian forests, but there seems to me to be much more detailed basic description of techniques than in the RM books.

I would also recommend reading the free online version of the Richard Graves book. This reads much like a military training manual (which I think it was originally, as I'm pretty sure that Richard Graves was a military survival instructor during or after WWII).

Apart from those, you could look at various other subjects under the bushcraft umbrella (foraging, plant ID, mushroom ID, tracking, flint knapping, etc., etc.).

Geeff

bearbait

...I would also recommend reading the free online version of the Richard Graves book. This reads much like a military training manual (which I think it was originally, as I'm pretty sure that Richard Graves was a military survival instructor during or after WWII).
Geeff

[Richard Graves] "initiated and led the Australian Jungle Rescue Detachment, assigned to the Far East American Air Force. This detachment of sixty specially selected AIF soldiers successfully effected more than three hundred rescue missions, most of which were in enemy held territory, without failure of a mission or loss of a man. An essential preliminary for rescue was survival, and it was for this purpose that the material in this book was originally written. Later the material was revised and prepared for a school of bushcraft which was conducted for nearly twenty years."

I think it's a pretty good book too. The UK version has some animal traps discussed, whereas the "foreign" version includes some mantraps!

Also see Kephart: Camping and Woodcraft.

Good luck with building your library.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Cheers Guys,

One copy of Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" on its way. Should keep me going for a few more weeks (and it'll be a nice read next weekend hammocking if the weather holds)

Nath

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE