Bushcraft bible

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Tough one, not sure there is a one size fits all Bushcraft book. That said Essential Bushcraft and The Outdoor Survival Handbook both by Mr. Mears are probably my two favourites.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As above, there's not enough consensus on just what bushcraft is to justify a single definitive book. Tha said, my vote would go for this 1967 edition:

62e33a523257739637178285e4341c9a.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Any of our so-called Sunday newspapers - you can start an awful lot of fires with any one of them........................

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Having dealt with University level biology/botany/dendrology textbooks for about 50 years or so, the harder they try to be all things to all people, the worse they fail.
I think it's practical to learn the same thing from three different sets of words/authors. Practice at home to use it in the bush.
Also, to thumb the pages in the pouring rain, looking for an answer, will spoil your day.

I've got the old classic: 'Wildwood Wisdom' by Ellsworth Jaeger, a 1992 reprint of the 1945 original. Many have built their strengths on this one, over time.
I say: "Good." With people like Mears adding continued popularity to the skills, they won't get lost.
Me? There's a chapter on making birchbark utensils/cups/bowls that I want to mess with.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Depends dunnit?
If by "Bible" you mean "Pure fantasy, written by people with vested interests generations after the events described may or may not have actually happened" I think I'll go with the Bushcraft Bible being...

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
like many have said no one book is the be all end all but a great book that covers many things well is Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
like many have said no one book is the be all end all but a great book that covers many things well is Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski

Another thumbs up for Mr. Kochanski's Bushcraft.

Perhaps not a 'bushcraft bible' but '98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your bottom Alive' by Cody Lundin is a much underrated book.

:)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I like books, the more the merrier I reckon but I agree with the above comments on authors to look into, however, a huge resource is the internet with forums like this one. At least here you can ask a question and get an answer (sometimes a debated one) about an aspect that you can't ask a books author.
Rob.

leon-1

There is no book that can claim to be being the bushcraft bible because bushcraft is many things to many different people.

Bushcraft, the ultimate survival guide by Richard H Graves.
Northern Bushcraft by Mors L Kochanski
Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger

There are far too many books to list that could go towards being part of the ultimate guide.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Do women need things explained differently? Do men need a different book to the boys?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do women need things explained differently? Do men need a different book to the boys?

The implication of the subtitle of that book seems to suggest so...

I wasn't aware that things were that different when out in the bush. But then I am only a woman, so what would I know?

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE