Bush soap???

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
G'day everyone!

So i was doin some thinking the other day and i was trying to figure out if there was a way to make your own "soap" out in the bush?

Im basically trying to find a substitute for soap - a recipe or way to make a cleaning/disinfecting thing from ingredients only found in the bush... Anyone got any methods or ideas???

Cheers,

Nick

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
isnt soap basicaly made from fat and a lye solution? i did see someone somewhere making soap this way but it seemed to be pretty horrible stuff!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Perfectly possible to make your own soap using fat and lye (there are articles on here of me doing exactly that) - its how all soap is made. However, it takes a month for soap to be safe to use.

There are many soap substitutes. Grated conkers can be compressed to a soap like product, horse chestnut leaves and soapwort both contain saponins.

Red

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I've made soap a few times

you need a mix of acids (for soap an acidic fat) and alkalis (I used caustic soda), the chemical reaction is called saponification, and produces soap

In the "olden days" the alkali would be produced by leeching water through wood ashes, and then mixing with fats (commonly lard and vegetable oils.

Alex

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
There are many soap substitutes. Grated conkers can be compressed to a soap like product, horse chestnut leaves and soapwort both contain saponins.

These are the kind of ideas im getting at - so horse chestnuts and soapwort mushed up creates a cleaning product - do they lather up at all?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
isnt soap basicaly made from fat and a lye solution? i did see someone somewhere making soap this way but it seemed to be pretty horrible stuff!

Mr Reds soap is better than some commercial products!
I had some from him and realy rated it!

Hint Hint ...:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mr Reds soap is better than some commercial products!
I had some from him and realy rated it!

Hint Hint ...:)

I desparately need to do another big soap batch John. I'm even running low myself :(

Got 2 greenhouses coming on Thursday and 300 board feet of tanalised timber to make raised beds out of sat in the yard...so it won't be soon I'm afraid

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I desparately need to do another big soap batch John. I'm even running low myself :(

Got 2 greenhouses coming on Thursday and 300 board feet of tanalised timber to make raised beds out of sat in the yard...so it won't be soon I'm afraid

I guess that with all your muckspreading you have been getting through a fair bit :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You aren't kidding there. Been barrowing rubble up to a neighbours today since he had "spare" skip space. Rotting carpet mixed with concrete is just a little slice of heaven

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE