Bush Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Just face it Red we all know you would really like a nice baseball hat . It ok you can come out the baseball cap closet and feel real proud

This should do it:

552146009_o.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And a baseball hat wont knock into your fully packed rucksack as it has no rim at the back :)

That's one of the main reasons they became so popular here from the 1950s onward. Not because of the rucksack specifically but rather with no brim in the back they also didn't bump the higher backs becoming common on car seats. They have their place (not the least of which is wearing to the game to suport your team) and I have several.

Like Red, I like flat caps and occassionally manage to wear one but unfortunately over here they're largely considered women's headwear (I suppose to some extent that's true of ALL headwear over here in certain social circles)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
That's one of the main reasons they became so popular here from the 1950s onward. Not because of the rucksack specifically but rather with no brim in the back they also didn't bump the higher backs becoming common on car seats. They have their place (not the least of which is wearing to the game to suport your team) and I have several.

Like Red, I like flat caps and occassionally manage to wear one but unfortunately over here they're largely considered women's headwear (I suppose to some extent that's true of ALL headwear over here in certain social circles)

Yep I remember spending a few memorable days with an American girl in Dublin, she purchased a whole load of flat caps to bring back to the USA for her girly friends

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Over here they are mostly worn with knackered old coats by farmers :)

They are classless too - the farmer could be a smallholder, or own half of Hampshire, but in a tweed cap and old combat jacket and driving a dented utility vehicle, no-one knows!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
You know for the people that live & work in the Australian bush there is no such thing as a bush hat...they just wear a hat, usually a knackered, vaguely outback-ish style wide brimmed felt jobby to keep the sun off..........often full of character & impregnated with years of sweat,... no name, no classification just a function....They would probably laugh at us trying to define 'a bush hat' since we don't have 'bush' nor a real need to wear one...:lmao:

Aussie is not the only place with 'bush':rolleyes:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Aussie is not the only place with 'bush':rolleyes:

Yep! To be honest I think it is just a name. I often call forests and woods over here bush too. It is just what you are used to.

In NZ (home) the only person I can remember seeing with a peaked cap was a sheep farmer in the Otago. He looked as though he had come straight of the hills in the Lake District. I don't think they are so common there.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Oh dear.....what have I started? :eek:

Nothing bad :)

In amongst the badinage there is a fair amount of useful information and useful debate. I guess your original topic has been widened a bit but I think people have already endorsed Bharmas and their ilk so you have got useful answers to your original question.

Beyond that, I find the baseball cap vs. bush hat vs. flat cap discussion quite interesting. Why should we choose a Bharma over a baseball cap? I think there is a sort of 'bushcraft uniform' that includes things like Bharmas but is as much about what is fashionable in the bushcraft community as it is about utility.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nothing bad :)

In amongst the badinage there is a fair amount of useful information and useful debate. I guess your original topic has been widened a bit but I think people have already endorsed Bharmas and their ilk so you have got useful answers to your original question.

Beyond that, I find the baseball cap vs. bush hat vs. flat cap discussion quite interesting. Why should we choose a Bharma over a baseball cap? I think there is a sort of 'bushcraft uniform' that includes things like Bharmas but is as much about what is fashionable in the bushcraft community as it is about utility.

I agree & I find the topic interesting too.... I think the type of hat we choose to wear goes beyond utility, it is a symbol in that we are outwardly expressing to whom or what we identify with, either deliberately or unconciously.....:)...

Huon, yes the debate is pretty interesting and I wasn't asking as part of the "Bushcraft Uniform", I have always fancied one of those wide brimmed hats ever since wathcing Indiana Jones when I was younger. I just wasn't expecting a big debate on hat types. :)

Dare I say that picture looks like a futuristic member on here. Won't say who..... :p

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Huon, yes the debate is pretty interesting and I wasn't asking as part of the "Bushcraft Uniform", I have always fancied one of those wide brimmed hats ever since wathcing Indiana Jones when I was younger. I just wasn't expecting a big debate on hat types. :)

There's a reason I have the Akubra with crocodile teeth around the band. Not Indiana Jones exactly but not all Dundees are in Scotland ;)

Dare I say that picture looks like a futuristic member on here. Won't say who..... :p

I've no idea who you mean but for some reason I can't help wondering what Vikings look like when they age :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE