Bush Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've got a Driza bone oilskin baseball cap that is just the job on a rainy day. I have a normal baseball cap with a foreign legion style back panel to cover my neck on a sunny day. It looks a bit silly but doesn't interfear with a back pack and I learned my lesson getting my neck burnt to a crisp fishing or I wear my buff with the back long over my neck. Being folically challenged means protecting my tender scalp in the summer.

Last edited:
..........wearing a pyjama top in the bush doesn't make it a bush shirt.:p

...unless it's a tactical pyjama, of course - anything tactical is very good and appropriated for the bush. don't know about strategical pyjamas, though...

back on topic (kind of): i find the baseball cap less suited for summer than a panama (or straw) hat (that's something that i learned the hard way in yukatan) and less suited for winter than a watch cap (with or without a balaclava or a buff), but it works just fine for me in spring and autumn (with or without a buff).

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
11-16-0820163-1-1.jpg

Thats a nice jumper...M&S lambs wool..... we've also got some of those black mugs at work

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have 3 American Nephews and 2 children in the UK who suit baseball caps but personally they dont suit me. Guess you have to be an American or a Baseball fan. I will stick to my Green Army style bush hat.

Dont forget also in America they suffer from sun burnt ears etc because of the popularity of the Baseball cap. According to what my Brother in law said who's from Florida.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Seems to me from reading this thread like a lot of people on this forum have a repressed desire for baseball caps. :rolleyes:

Repressed? I've admitted to wearing them sometimes :) I don't have any right now as I tend to loose them but the tweed baseball caps I posted up earlier are tempting me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...back on topic (kind of): i find the baseball cap less suited for summer than a panama (or straw) hat (that's something that i learned the hard way in yukatan)...

They make mesh baseball caps: www.e4hats.com/_e/gdept/24/Mesh_Trucker_caps.htm In fact a variation of these were usually issued in squadron colors and with squadron designation as part of the USAF work uniform until the adoption of BDUs. The Navy and Coast Guard still issue them.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
fail-owned-hat-fail.jpg

I wear a baseball cap in the woods sometimes, depends on my mood. I have a flatcap but wool on my head in summer doesn't do it for me. Managed to get a £3 Karrimor brimmed hat thats green, I wear that if I'm out for more than a night. It's all down to what you want on the day like anything else surely.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
fail-owned-hat-fail.jpg

I wear a baseball cap in the woods sometimes, depends on my mood. I have a flatcap but wool on my head in summer doesn't do it for me. Managed to get a £3 Karrimor brimmed hat thats green, I wear that if I'm out for more than a night. It's all down to what you want on the day like anything else surely.

LOL. Love that pic. The 1st time I saw it, it was captioned, "You just cain't fix stupid."

They make mesh baseball caps: www.e4hats.com/_e/gdept/24/Mesh_Trucker_caps.htm In fact a variation of these were usually issued in squadron colors and with squadron designation as part of the USAF work uniform until the adoption of BDUs. The Navy and Coast Guard still issue them.

well, i guess they had to issue something "military"... it would have been a very strange choice to issue sombreros - even if under scorching sun the sombrero might prove to be more confortable.

however, thanks for the "wool-cap-with-ear-flaps" suggestion - that seems a good piece of gear... i think i'll try one next winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE