Bush Cooker/Buddy Solutions

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love my bushcooker, to me it is the ideal bushcrafting stove.... a real fire that is contained, so you can light up anywhere within reason without other people thinking the entire forest is being attacked by arsonists. Apart from the initial lighting, this device produces little to no smoke at all and so draws little attention even if used in a well used woodland area, creates no mess at all and when burnt out, the ash is easily disposed of in a small scrape in the ground.

The only flaw that I have found with this stove, is the constant attention it needs and the frequent topping up and the time it takes snapping twigs to the right size. The solution was to use bigger and thicker twigs/branches, but that requires a greater amount of work. Then I thought of these....

Spear_and_Jackson_Razorsharp_Bypass_Secateurs_Large.gif

Lightweight, easily packed, you can even put them in your pocket, and they cut decent size one inch thick twigs easily and quickly. Within five minutes, you can have a pile like this....

21Jun2009-SUMMERSOLSTICEAM11.jpg

Once you start using the very thick cut offs, you can leave the cooker for ten minutes at a time and it requires very little topping up and attention, the cut offs are easier to load into the slot without getting burned and I found that the temperature is increased greatly, taking a couple of minutes to boil a mug full of water, and just under six minutes to boil a small billy can of water.

Problems solved. I anyone has a Bush Buddy/Bush Cooker, I highly recommend that you get some secateurs.

Dec 16, 2007
Great idea. i have forgoten about these. used to have some in my belt kit to cut live bush stuff to cam up the basha and myself when I was in the firm. thanks for that would also work for the ghillie kettle

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice pic, rearly want one of these stoves as they burn so well. Just worried I might stand on it one night, and crush £50 into the earth.:eek:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice pic, rearly want one of these stoves as they burn so well. Just worried I might stand on it one night, and crush £50 into the earth.:eek:

Fits perfectly in a Tibetan Titanium billy, or the 12cm Zebra. Crushing problem solved :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE