Burns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
can i point out that i did say it must be clean. the idea comes from miners who works with the oily stuff which is what vasaline is made from. also I do have an advanced first aid qualification through St Johns which i was a member of for six years.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Another tip:

When using cold water to cool the burn, once the aera is back down to body temp and more cleaning of the wound is required, use water that has been warmed to body temp. Have someone stand with a water bottle under their armpit or under their jumper etc. The body works best at body temp (stating the obvious I know :) ) so continuuing to use cool water once the process of cooling the wound is complete will slow the healing process down.

Thats something i picked up from my gf, a Nurse

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
The use of Vasline on burns seems a tad controversial with a couple of letters in the BMJ last year
One from A&E docs making this statement:
"Grease should never be applied to a fresh burn where the superficial part of the skin is missing. In addition to being occlusive, it is non-sterile, promotes bacterial proliferation on the surface of the wound, and may lead to infection.1 2 We propose that the manufacturers change their labelling system, to clearly state that Vaseline is not to be used as an immediate first aid measure for burns, but can be used as a subsequent dressing for minor burns"

Here's a link to the search page which has the above letter, the manufacturers reply and a summation of the evidence base:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/sear...levance&sortspecbrief=relevance&sendit=Search

Justin
ps, can anyone tell me how to "hide" a URL behind a title like I do on other forums?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Alovera is very good for burns, In my first aid kit there's usually a small vial of SOLACAINE It's for sunburn really but I've found it works well on minor burns as well

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Hello all.

There's been some very astute respones so far. Expecially Doc's.

2) Cool down with water.
3) Check airway and breathing ok
7) Clingfilm from a roll is sterile on the internal surface. It is the dressing of choice after cooling.
8) If more than 15% burns in an adult or 10% in a child, fluid loss may be a problem. If you have the equipment and skill, then iv access and colloid infusion are appropriate. Transfer should usually be to a hospital with a burns unit.
9) Dead burned skin can form a black/grey inflexible layer which can restrict breathing and circulation. In extremis, this may need to be divided (escharotomy). Bit beyond the scope of this though

The first thing to always do is cool down the burn victim. Cool water is choice. Not cold water as stated. Unfortunately, there's really nothing that will relieve their pain that much.

Remove clothing, rings, barcelets, watches, etc. A really bad and painful situation could develope if a burned extremity swells around a ring. If clothing is burned into the skin, leave it, and cut the excess off. If there is a full thickness (3rd degree) burn that goes all the way around an extremity or the chest/abdomen (called a circumferential burn) it can truly be a life threatening emergency. In such cases escherotomy may be necessary, which is basically perforations cut into the burnt skin to allow circulation and/or breathing by letting the skin expand and contract. Really a nasty lookin thing, but the patiient won't feel any pain associated with the full thickness burns.

In the US there is an uncertainty/mixed opinions about bandaging burns. Some say bandage wet some say dry. I'm with the dry crowd. As for vaseline, I'd never use it because of the reasons stated. Vaseline will seal all the muck and nasties in the wound. Infection as well as hypothermia are major concerns with burns, so treat them accordingly. (I do, however, keep some "burn-eze" burn gel in my FAK. Mainly it's for superficial burns (first degree) and making people feel better.)

If you're going to close it up, make sure you use a burn sheet (don't know what they're called over there). Unlike gauze, it will not stick in the wound like a gauze when you pull it off.

For very minor burns (1st degree, superficial) I've read that honey works fairly well. I personally love aloe and keep a large plant on the patio. Other than that, I keep nothing other than the burn gel and burn sheets in my FAK for treating burns. Although, I'm heading down to the everglades for a week next weekend, and have decided to bring a fairly large bottle of 100% aloe with me. I'm sure we'll all be sunburned by the end. (i.e. supeficially burned. :-D )

N

nrb

Doug Ritter swears by this stuff http://www.gtandco.com/burnaway.htm

Burnaway plus contains Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Hawaiian Ginger and Vitamin E.

I always ment to try get some but their email had problems. Might have to give them a call.

Never heard of the clingfilm idea before...thanks for that

nigel

J

JeremyH

Interesting info re: burns. I wonder, though if we have not got too
carried away with the question? Yes be careful, yes use cool water for at least ten mins. (it seems a long time but is worth it) and as people who use homoeopathy the remedy Cantharis works well for us. We normally take it in pillule form. It is part of our travelling first aid kit , along with Arnica etc..

Homoeopathy, with advice is available from
www.helios.co.uk

i have just noticed that they do a first aid emergency kit.

Hope this helps
Jeremy

www.islaybirding.co.uk - what are you doing today?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE