Burnous

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Afternoon All,

I've been pondering the idea of a backed (fronted?) burnouse for a while now, and the uses of it particularly in winter. I want thinking of putting one together using an old 58 poncho and woollen blankets either stitched together or joined by poppers at the front and back of the shoulders the issue is I can only find pictures of burnooses (Burnees?) being worn and not the flat pattern of one. Does anyone have any ideas where I might track down a pattern for a bernous, not matter which way it is spelt?

Cheers,

Ollie

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
So I have a surplus woollen blanket that's arriving today so this will be a nice little project during my Christmas leave, unfortunately my GCSE in french doesn't cover haberdashery so I had to google the instructions on the sheet but it seems eminently doable.

Does anyone have any experience with applying lanolin to a woollen blanket? I understand it's removed for the manufacturing processes but I want to get it back in for the waterproof qualities of it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
So I have a surplus woollen blanket that's arriving today so this will be a nice little project during my Christmas leave, unfortunately my GCSE in french doesn't cover haberdashery so I had to google the instructions on the sheet but it seems eminently doable.

Does anyone have any experience with applying lanolin to a woollen blanket? I understand it's removed for the manufacturing processes but I want to get it back in for the waterproof qualities of it.

There's a bit of a chat about lanolin at the bottom of page 1 of this thread:

Merino wool itch. | BushcraftUK Community

This stuff is sold as a hair treatment I believe but I'm told it works on wool; I've not got around to trying it yet:

Dax 100% Pure Lanolin Super Conditioner 397gm: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE