Burning Charcoal in a tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
To the people that know about such things.

I have a fire box and some charcoal and was wondering if bbq- ing in a tipi tent was a good idea (if it is pouring with rain) or am I going to end up with carbon monoxide poisoning ?
(is it differect to just buring some hard wood?)

Thanks

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There was a recent death in the news of a couple who very sadly suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, one fatality.

In no way whatsoever would I wish to gamble for the sake of a sauasage.

just my HO.

al.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
whether it is charcoal or wood it makes no difference to how dangerous it is, its just that wood also provides acrid smoke that may wake you before the CO builds up enough to kill you.

When ever burning anything in a confined space you MUST ensure there is enough venitlation! Tipis have a good high ceiling and normally some kind of vent if they are designed to have a fire in them ;) I would prefer to have a flue attached to a burner, that way any gases are taken straight out.

The couple mentioned had trouble because they brought the smouldering bbq into a tent so it wouldn't get pinched and then went to bed, so they were asleep when the CO filled them. If you are having a bbq coz its raining, then chances are that you will be awake anyway. so it's probably fine to go ahead with it as long as you have good ventilation and should you begin to feel sleepy then open the door properly and get out side fast! Actually, probably best not to :neo2:

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Agree with all above dave... The recent news was just to highlight its something that happens sadly quite often.

The problem with CO poisoning is its undetectable (unless you have a device to detect it). Whole rooms of people, awake and chatting have one, by one drifted off.

I would not even consider it, over caution maybe. But thats me with such matters.

al.

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
Still can't find any thing that tells me why charcoal is worse than wood (and the tipi is designed for that) but discretion is the better part of valor and it won't take much effort to throw up a tarp and BBQ under that.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I experimented with a fire inside a large (9ft high 16 ft diameter tipi over the winter using dry wood and charcoal to minimise smoke. I tried raising the fire to increase airflow and adjusting the incoming air at ground level but in the end the smoke just did not exit the apex fast enough often enough. Now I use a stove with flu pipe.

I would never go to sleep with the fire burning, even the stove fire. I always make sure it is burned down beforehand.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Still can't find any thing that tells me why charcoal is worse than wood (and the tipi is designed for that) but discretion is the better part of valor and it won't take much effort to throw up a tarp and BBQ under that.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

As I understand it, and I am no expert, charcoal emits co2 when burned just like wood. Its just that it doesn't also emit the acrid smoke. So in some ways, especially in a poorly ventilated space, it could lull you into a false sense of security.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As I understand it, and I am no expert, charcoal emits co2 when burned just like wood. Its just that it doesn't also emit the acrid smoke. So in some ways, especially in a poorly ventilated space, it could lull you into a false sense of security.

Thats sums it up really, charcoal is a 'silent' burner, you may think its out when if fact its still killing you.

TL, me and Nigel use a parachute and that vents an open fire really well even when the chute is pegged down to the ground, for £40 it may be worth you thinking of getting one.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Still can't find any thing that tells me why charcoal is worse than wood

Its actually lack of oxygen (ventilation) that makes charcoal produce carbon dioxide at higher levels than burning wood... This is from just reading up.

Quote~
Carbon monoxide gas is produced when fossil fuel burns incompletely because of insufficient oxygen. During incomplete combustion, the carbon and hydrogen combine to form carbon dioxide, water, heat, and carbon monoxide. In properly installed and maintained appliances, the fuel burns cleanly and produces only small amounts of carbon monoxide. Anything that interferes with the burning process or results in a shortage of oxygen can increase carbon monoxide production. Wood, coal, and charcoal fires always produce carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Well what we do is to have a carbon monoxide detector with us ! Cost £16 and like a smoke detector the battery lasts at least a year.
We have one in the tent and one when we go camping. And yes it works and yes its loud! but it has only EVER gone off from testing it with 'dreager tubes' etc.
So even when we have had a fire inside a tent we a) make sure we have enough ventilation b) have the detector with us.
Alan

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Charcoal is already part burned. When you light it, it smoulders rather than burns, giving off much higher levels of carbon monoxide than a wood fire. This incomplete combustion you get from smouldering charcoal makes it far, far more dangerous to burn in confined spaces than almost any other fuel. Dont do it, ever!!!

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I lodged in a tipi for a month once, we had a wood fire going inside most nights - using the tipi's ventilation.

We were using standing dead wood though,. maybe there is an element of how much smoke the fuel emits to take into account how effective the ventilation can be?

i have no idea how the fuels compare for smoke emission though.

Alex

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Not only does burning charcoal produce much more CO, it burns at a much higher temperature, 1200-1400C and will cause much more corrosion in the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE