buring paint of altoid tins...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
im aware this isnt exactly a craft but i duno where else to put it.

ive found some small little metal containers with hinged lids. smaller the altoids but im guessing similar material.

previously i burned off the paint by just chucking them in the fire and fishing the out after, then givin them a good wash, then a thourugh good sandpaperin to get rid of the, i duno, suite, blackness, whatever it is it doesnt come off easy.

i ended up with some nice 'rustic' lookin little tins. i didnt bother going all out and trying to polish them up.

...but i was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to get the blackness off better? or should i say easier. I patheticly tried soaking them in spirit alcohol, thinking maybe that might do something but nah.

ta

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
why bother?, paint keeps the rust off

i'v got some with the mona lisa smoking a joint....they were two for £1 so happy days lol

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
yeah, but it looks funny so id rather get rid of it.

thanks for the suggestion samon but maybe i should have said i was looking for something more, um, i duno, not less toxic, but something i might have around the house.

i guess that involves people knowing what i have a dont have etc. would wite spirits or ethanol or something do it?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
just realised what section this is in, so yeah fair point mate.

paint removal is usually a pretty toxic affiar. unless you wanna give em a good going over with sand paper or a wire bush?

petrol will probably fetch it off given time, but not much can resist nitromors

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Alcohol and paint thinner won't do jack.

You will need a real stripper like nitromors or an other brand. If you're worried about the toxicity then wash it thoroughly with washing up liquid, that should lift a fair amount of residual nasties.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
You could make some lye using woodash. Soak the tins for a day or so then see if there is any thing left.

(This post assumes you will know what safety precautions to take)

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE