Bullroarer

Thanks to Chance I made a bullroarer at our latest meet.

I was wondering if any has done any tests to see if altering things about it helps increase the noise. Mine doesn't seem to make a loud enough noise and I am not seeing how it could be used to communicate over any distance.

Would the length, weight have any affect?
What about the string? Currently I am using some string that I got at Tesco but I was thinking of replacing it with leather thonging.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dharma and I make them with the shave horse sometimes.
You really need to thin the edge a bit, and keep the piece 'long' rather than round.
Basically it needs to move agin the air, it needs to vibrate, and then you get that blood deep 'thrumm' that really sets the air howling :D
Bit like a carnyx tbh :D :cool:

Sometimes a thicker bit of string (paracord's fine) helps you get a good whirl going with it, too. Easier on the hands, I mean. Don't have it so thick where it's joined to the bullroarer that it can't move.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks to Chance I made a bullroarer at our latest meet.

I was wondering if any has done any tests to see if altering things about it helps increase the noise. Mine doesn't seem to make a loud enough noise and I am not seeing how it could be used to communicate over any distance.

Would the length, weight have any affect?
What about the string? Currently I am using some string that I got at Tesco but I was thinking of replacing it with leather thonging.

just be careful, last time I made one...
[video=youtube;3Kf_RYVt2XQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ[/video]

Seriously though, I tried para cord, which was too thick and wouldn't twist as the roarer was swung around ( the twist in the cord seems to be a crucial factor for performance?) so then I tried leather thonging which worked but didn't last 5 mins, snapping in mid swing and almost going into orbit, thankfully it didnt hit anything.

Then I tried heavy duty artificial sinew, which worked a treat but you either need to wear a glove or tie the loose end to a handle of some sort, otherwise I find it cuts into your flesh after a few minutes

Thanks Mary. I will have a read through that link you posted later tonight.

I was thinking using the string and attaching leather thonging for a handle to hold. Gets to be a bit of a pain after a while on the fingers.

I am still not sure how it can be heard over large distances unless you are in a canyon and th sound echos.

I saw that video, good chuckle. :)

I was thinking of finishing it with paint. Is there any particular paint good for wood and won't affect the spinning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE