Bullace Beer..how much fruit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So in the ongoing quest for new and interesting booze recipes, I am planning to attempt "bullace beer". This is because I have tried, and liked, Badgers "Poachers Choice". Poacher's Choice is flavoured with Damson and liquorice.

I tried a 5 gallon brew flavoured with a dozen plums and a few liquorice sticks. No plum flavour came through (at all). So clearly more is needed, but, and this is a real question....how many pounds of bullaces need to be incorporated into a 5 gallon brew for a good plum flavour do we think?

....ideas?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never brewed beer, but I've used Bullace for many years as a flavouring for Gins and Vodkas, also Irish and Polish spirit distilled from spuds, grain and all sorts of fruits; I love the flavour they impart but they are very subtle and much less "boisterous" than their close relative, the sloe, and I'd imagine it'd be difficult to overdo it flavour-wise.

I presume we're talking about real Bullace? The same colour and about twice the size as the sloe, but nowhere near as bitter? Around these parts the Bullace is almost an endangered species, and people have over the years confused them with all the various Mirabelles, Plum Cherries, Cherry Plums and the many hybrids that Prunus seems able to produce!

I'm afraid this is not much help re. the OP, but I couldn't resist a chat about one of my old favourite fruits..............................................atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I presume we're talking about real Bullace? The same colour and about twice the size as the sloe, but nowhere near as bitter?

I'm afraid this is not much help re. the OP, but I couldn't resist a chat about one of my old favourite fruits..............................................atb mac

That'll be them Mac - been a great year for them on the homestead - picked a fair sized basket today and there is a load more to come

25 pounds of bullaces by British Red, on Flickr

A lot is destined for spirits along with raw molasses sugar - but there is far too much for that!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lucky man! I still get enough from foraging for my own needs, but I intend to try striking a few cuttings and see if I can spread 'em about a bit more. Even 20 yrs. ago they were common in the hadgerows roun a bout here but for some reason have almost vanished..............best of luck with the brew!....................................atb mac

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers mac - I have put back enough for a good few litres of spirits (currently being frozen to "burst" the fruit), they will join the damsons that are already "tincturing". I've plumped (plum'd?) for 12 pounds of fruit as a flavouring for the brew (well stewed and strained) - no idea if that's too much but it seems a decent amount....we will see :)

12 pounds of bullace and four liquorice sticks by British Red, on Flickr

Stewed "liquor" by British Red, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I've just mixed up the beer

The colour can best be described as ......vibrant :Wow:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks great, BR, what a vibrant colour! Probably not what you'd want to see the day after, though! Be sure to let us know how it is after conditioning, eh?..................atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Will do - I'll bust a bottle or two with our friends on a warm evening in a couple of months - damn it tastes of plums though - not a hint - more like the juice int he bottom of a plum crumble!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think it will taste nice, but I need to work on the recipe some more to make it a "fruit beer". Last time was not enough, this time may be too much.....well we have "bracketed the target" and just need to zero in.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I suspect that this is one of those where the exact ripeness of the fruit and the sort of year it's been will influence the exact amount needed, so the only way is to make lots of batches until you get good at judging it.............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Reckon so. I think the right number is not in double digit pounds of fruit though....Next "stab" may well be 6lb or so

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its madly fruity - but very nice! Strong too...all that extra fruit sugar that caused the frothing over I think

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Damn it Red you can be my friend, :DI like the cut of your jib or something like that lol.
You seemingly always something brewing! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE