Building in national parks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Heard it on the radio. Made me so angry I turned it off.

We know next to nothing about habitat creation, and most current schemes are basically just 'best guesses'. Some work, some don't.

It is entirely possible for investment in rural areas to be made without building on them.

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
It's awful. Apparently there's a consultation going on, but the only email address I could find was about National Parks governance which closed consultation in May 2012. If anyone finds an address, please do let me know!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Makes me fume, looks like a big PR exercise.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into this more tomorrow.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
After living in a national park where the farmer couldn't even build an extension on his house (which would have been unseen from everywhere but his back field) so his second son had enough room I've got to say that I've seen the other side to the national parks overly restrictive guidelines.
Their restrictions force the country kids to move into towns when they grow up, the villages are chocka full of people who sold a poxy little hole down south and retired up here. The village schools are practically dead and some of the people who move up here complain that farms smell of ****e. Oh really.

This is part of the reason why the average age of the UK farmer is about 57, their sons move into town where they can afford to live then they don't end up taking the farm on.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Its interesting to contrast this thread with the thread where people were told to tear down a house because planning restrictions were flouted

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110958

I guess we either want strict regulation for building or we don't

Any second now Hugh someone's going to telling you that you can't compare the one to the other, I'd just like to pre-emptively point out that you already have done.

People live in National Parks, they need housing, they need work, schools, care homes, shops, leisure facilities etc. etc. I personally don't think that offsetting in any form is the answer to any problems, but that's across the board, not at all specific to National Parks. It would be terrible if, say, the Peak District was to be ruined by developers but how likely is that to happen? By insisting on offsetting we're artificially raising the price of any development that takes place, and therefore limiting the saleability of said development. When there's a set number of people who can afford luxury goods then there's also a set number of those goods that will be manufactured. A solution to the problem? No, not at all, but possibly a way of limiting the impact that that problem has on the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Stuart.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I personally don't think that offsetting in any form is the answer to any problems, but that's across the board, not at all specific to National Parks.
Stuart.

I agree completely

Their restrictions force the country kids to move into towns when they grow up, the villages are chocka full of people who sold a poxy little hole down south and retired up here. The village schools are practically dead and some of the people who move up here complain that farms smell of ****e

This is also very true - I have seen it for myself

[As I read it this is more about allowing businesses to build. Not residential.

I read it as "businesses can build homes" (housing developments). However that was my inference rather than a written implication. It is an important distinction.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Its interesting to contrast this thread with the thread where people were told to tear down a house because planning restrictions were flouted

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110958

I guess we either want strict regulation for building or we don't

Good point well made. I personally am on the side of regulation. Having seen bungalow blight in deregulated Ireland and living in a National Park in England I know which one I would choose.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a tricky old subject for sure. People maintain the need for "affordable housing" in towns and cities but often seem to think that there is no need for the same in rural areas. On the other hand, its very easy to chuck a new house in a rural area that will never be affordable to people who need to live and work there. The root cause is that there are too many people for the houses - not too few houses for the people. If we keep on growing as a population, we will need more houses, which means we concrete over more wild spaces, it is inevitable, numbers of people = numbers of houses = less land without houses.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Offsetting may - repeat May only be a deterrant to greedy developers anxious to get their hands on prime+ building land for homes business premises etc for only the very few who can afford them, IF the profit they make after the event is offset by the cost of any nature reserve they are forced to make. In other words the environmental investment should compare most favorably. But! The reality. - In parts of Asia for instance, too many tin pot 1 acre nature reserves are springing up as a cheap n easy carrot to the council for picturesque building land - supposedly on the grounds that it will attract tourists and locals. So the plants get planted, the kiddie playparks get constructed, the board walks get hastily thrown together, the pretty informative notices spring up listing associated parties with a vested interest, colorful maps and pictures informing you of what you are highly unlikely to see. I mean what rare bird wants to sit on a reed bed island surrounded by people walking around it - or even a common magpie for that matter?
I would hate to see this happen to the UK's national parks esp places like Dartmoor.
The reason it remains wild and mysterious in character is its very incompatability with droves of tourists. Man made tourist attractions are not everywhere. Ancient hedgerows remain tall and deep. Lanes remain narrow and inaccessible.
Sorry for my 2p worth but the secretaries naivity makes me angry and the parks are quite possibly the UK's last irreplaceable treasure- so it was impossible not to say something. Furthermore, we cannot later say we were not warned.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sorry for my 2p worth but the secretaries naivity makes me angry and the parks are quite possibly the UK's last irreplaceable treasure- so it was impossible not to say something. Furthermore, we cannot later say we were not warned.

I think he knows exactly what he's doing. The offsetting is a measure to make it more palatable not to actually make a difference. Also keep your eyes open for stealth policies being snuck under the radar whilst this sacrificial highly emotive policy is paraded around.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why can the decisions not just be made on a case by case basis with common sense applied? Blanket legislation for or against never works.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
I think he knows exactly what he's doing. The offsetting is a measure to make it more palatable not to actually make a difference. Also keep your eyes open for stealth policies being snuck under the radar whilst this sacrificial highly emotive policy is paraded around.

Yes I agree with your judgement that he has his eyes wide open. Hence the anger from individuals. My reference to him being naive is if he for one moment dreamt that the natural environment would be a better place through this policy, than before he started on it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Creating "new nature reserves" is also a load of hogwash; you cannot simply transplant a habitat and an ecosystem. It takes years for the interconnectivity between the insects, birds, wildlife and land to work properly.

Where I live we have some of the last heathland left in an AONB. A good few years ago there was a housing development which involved moving a section of heath like a piece of turf; guess what it didn't work.

Long ago I reached the conclusion that the only card any government has to play is simply to facilitate the building of houses and claim the illusion of economic nirvana.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Creating "new nature reserves" is also a load of hogwash; you cannot simply transplant a habitat and an ecosystem. It takes years for the interconnectivity between the insects, birds, wildlife and land to work properly.

Where I live we have some of the last heathland left in an AONB. A good few years ago there was a housing development which involved moving a section of heath like a piece of turf; guess what it didn't work.

Long ago I reached the conclusion that the only card any government has to play is simply to facilitate the building of houses and claim the illusion of economic nirvana.

Totally agree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE