Build A Bucksaw - Semi Final No. 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

And whose is nicest in THIS group?

• Sargey

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Jon Picket

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • Singeblister

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • AndyN

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Skanker

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Chrisanson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Falling Rains "Kochanski"

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Falling Rains "Collapsible"

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Skanker Mark II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queeg9000

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • Queeg9000 Mark II

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi guys, this poll is to determine the “finals” for the “Build a Bucksaw” competition. We had 21 entries in all so there will be two “groups” or qualifying rounds. The top 5 entries from each round to go through to the “final”. The winner of the “final” gets the little Marbles axe! Feel free to vote in each of the groups if you want to as they are all different entries – and please, everyone have a say in the final.

There are no criteria – just vote for the saw you like the best – simplest, sturdiest, cheapest, most elegant. Whatever YOU think makes for the best saw!

I have only put one photo up of each entrant – please look through the following thread for lots more photos and interest

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17189&page=1&pp=50

Anyway – here are the entrants in this group!

11) Sargey

svensaw.jpg

12) Jon Picket

dsc02976largelv1.jpg

13) Singeblister

DSCF4626.jpg

14) AndyN

351502729_a4590613cf.jpg

15) Skanker

saw2.jpg

16) Chrisanson

phpHZaswDAM.jpg

17) Falling Rains “Kochanski”

Pict3086.jpg

18) Falling Rains “collapsible”

Pict3087.jpg

19) Skanker “Mark II”

saw3.jpg

20) Queeg9000

Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg

21) Queeg9000 (Mark II)

Bucksaw_Hazel2.jpg

Poll will attempt to run for 7 days

Good luck all!

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Maybe I should have asked on the original thread, but what kind of blade am I looking for? Only, I went down to thorns and couldn't find one that looked right! Has it got a name?

Obviously, I don't want to enter ^^.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Here you go Biddlesby http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:10919371,p_4:Bahco&page=1 A 21inch or a 23 inch blade would be fine. And you'll need to decide if you want a raker tooth blade (better for green wood) or a peg tooth blade (better for dead/seasoned wood) Mind you for that price you could buy one of each. Obviously if you make a frame to take a 21inch blade buy a raker 21inch and a peg tooth 21inch. Actually that site is very good on prices for all their saws. I've already got a couple of bahco's of different sizes but I think I paid more than those prices. :( Snap 'em up.

I've voted on the poll. As have a lot of other people, but no-one as yet has done a little write of why they voted for a particular saw which is of interest. Obviously I presume you can't vote for yourself so I voted for Queegs curvy saw (not the hazel one) I like the ergonomics of it and it looks comfortable to use, well sanded and finished. How heavy is it queeg? I like some of the other saws too, but my criteria where, looks , ease of use and weight. Did anyone else think about weight for example or just go for looks? - Just out of interest what were your reasons for your choices?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I picked AndyN's as it looks very organic and I like the idea of a saw from the woods rather than a workshop made one

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its an interesting question. I think I like both. I'm not fence sitting there - I made both as examples in the original thread. I can see the place for a good, collapsibe workshop made saw, and I can also see the advantages to just carrying a blade and improvising in the field.

Somethings don't come over well in a single photo sadly - I voted Singeblister as he made his from a single log, seasoning, splitting and preparing the timber himself. That is not obvious from the photo but it was the "soup to nuts" aspect of that particular design that impressed me.

The sheer workmanship in Jons, Queeg9000s and Skankers is hugely impressive but the elegant simplicity of the others speaks to me.

It genuinely is impossible to judge I feel - I suspect the reason that some of the "field expedient" saws have lower numbers of votes is that it is harder to distinguish between them without handling them whereas some of the workshop made ones stand out more.

Either way, the saws are far better than the prize :D

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Heck, that's hard, i like some because they're lovely to look at and I like others because they're straight forward and could be constructed as needed.....This is what my head is doing at the moment :argue:

British Red said:
Its an interesting question. I think I like both. I'm not fence sitting there - I made both as examples in the original thread. I can see the place for a good, collapsibe workshop made saw, and I can also see the advantages to just carrying a blade and improvising in the field.

Somethings don't come over well in a single photo sadly - I voted Singeblister as he made his from a single log, seasoning, splitting and preparing the timber himself. That is not obvious from the photo but it was the "soup to nuts" aspect of that particular design that impressed me.

The sheer workmanship in Jons, Queeg9000s and Skankers is hugely impressive but the elegant simplicity of the others speaks to me.

It genuinely is impossible to judge I feel - I suspect the reason that some of the "field expedient" saws have lower numbers of votes is that it is harder to distinguish between them without handling them whereas some of the workshop made ones stand out more.

Either way, the saws are far better than the prize :D

Red
Thanks for the vote BR :) I didnt really enter it to win it which is why i didnt update my picture the saw now has faces carved on the top balls and the tension stick in the middle is rounded and smooth also the blade has copper pins to hold it , I used it a lot last week after the winds to reduce a tree in my garden.I will post a picture for everyone to see eventually ,, and once the competition is over . All the saws are great and I am sure everyone enjoyed making them as much as I did so they wont mind who wins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE