Bugs in UK summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quake_gl

Sep 29, 2013
HOME
What is the bug situation in South West and Midlands in UK,on summer??Are exposed legs and arms a problem?
Headnet?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Depends on the location, depends on the year, depends on whether bugs like how you taste.

Not helpful, I know but the question is pretty much like asking 'how long's a piece of string?' ;)

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Exposed body parts will be fine in 99.9% of cases in the Midlands. I have spent my whole life running around in shorts and T-Shirt in the summer without an issue.

Edit: The only thing people use headnets for in the midlands... Is to stop hairs falling into the food they are serving you.

Last edited:

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Somerset is fine unless you are in the bogs and marshes, and then its just an annoyance with flies and the 10 inch jurassic dragonflies...serious problem in late june here when we get the invasive species known as "festival goers" , they are far more of a problem, causing pollution and traffic problems for most of somerset.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Somerset is fine unless you are in the bogs and marshes, and then its just an annoyance with flies and the 10 inch jurassic dragonflies...serious problem in late june here when we get the invasive species known as "festival goers" , they are far more of a problem, causing pollution and traffic problems for most of somerset.
ive only ever had to use bug spray and headnet in scotland, Im one of the ones that is tasty to midgesfor the insect problem during the festival, large heavy gage mesh fence around my house works well, keeps most of them out. when too many of the critters gather in one place, that make a hum with lots of thuds, have been known to cause damage to undergound gas lines. I generally keep a few buckets of water handy for when they get on to my property, its against UK law to kill the vermin unfortunately.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Mosquito + other bug repellents work pretty well.

In the Midlands - and in most other area of England (Wales , Scotland + N Ireland are different) - it depends where you are + time of day. If you are near water or marshy ground there will be more flying biting critters, particularly late afternoon onwards. Horse flies can be a problem in open country any time of the day. I seem to be irrisistable to most of the flying biting insects, so use a hat, cover up + apply bug creams/sprays depending location + time.
Boggy ground anywhere can be an issue - have had bad experiences in the Lake District as well as here in Derbyshire, but there is nowhere like Scotland :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE