Bug Out Simulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is why the world invented the generator!

Know. A generator and a hookup(1) so that I can plug it in to a separate circuit is on The List. Of course, this time of year the freezers can be emptied into boxes in a shed with no major harm to the contents (current -10 C is not optimal, but ok for a while). The circulation pump on the heating system is more critical, in particular in a cold snap (-35 C perhaps).

(1) Probably some horrible b*st*rd thing, with a an IP54 outlet on each side of the outer wall, and a frankencord with two male ends to join the gennerator to it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most importantly is an isolator switch between the meter and the distribution panel. This prevents you from backfeeding the mains (and killing some poor bloke who is fixing a downed power line)

This is mine

Electricity changeover by British Red, on Flickr

With this, I can can just flip off the marked high drain circuits (dishwasher etc.) on the circuit breakers and leave the freezer, ch pump and a few other circuits live

Red

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Stay in or go all depends on the scenario really. In a pandemic situtation or similar, with a lot of death, it would be best to get as rural as possible to avoid disease, even though your house is great shelter and parts for survival. In this case, a load carrying, off road vehicle like the landrover pick ups would do well.
However in many situations I see why staying at home could be beneficial.

My main worry is when the food and water runs out and the less prepared people start to panic, what happens when people start anarchy with firearms, then it gets dangerous.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Good thoughts I think that there is a lot of romance in bugging out as opposed to bugging in, but if you are prepared for both then you have the options.

There is a forum called Ludlow Survivors Group that discusses this and many other preparedness options in some depth. There are many members in both BCUk and LSG with some other forums too.

http://www.ludlowsurvivors.co.uk/

And to whet the appetite / something to ponder or criticise there is this story too.

http://www.survival-preps.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=631.0;attach=131

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good thoughts I think that there is a lot of romance in bugging out as opposed to bugging in, but if you are prepared for both then you have the options.

There is a forum called Ludlow Survivors Group that discusses this and many other preparedness options in some depth. There are many members in both BCUk and LSG with some other forums too.

http://www.ludlowsurvivors.co.uk/

And to whet the appetite / something to ponder or criticise there is this story too.

http://www.survival-preps.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=631.0;attach=131

Good link for many folk but also look at
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/
they have been around a good while and there is a wealth of knowledge/videos/downloads etc. A few from here are members there.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My bug out bag is not for such events as a dirty bomb going off in the local school, or plagues of zombies outside, it is for the most practical and likely event that I would have to evacuate my block of flats, not that the whole area is going to evacuate.

Having been forced to leave in a hurry because of fire twice already, I don't intend to be caught out again. The option of having clothes to put on is very sensible, so is keeping emergency cash, and back up identity in case you need to prove who you are to the bank or whatever if you have lost your credit cards.

For anything more serious there is my car, getting out of town on the back roads, and of course having a bag with the necessary stuff should you need to abandon the car.

I don't see any need for a glock, hand grenades, bear traps or lightning rods, Most important item to me of course is my laptop, and cables :)

forestwalker

In a nearby town (Östersund) they have to boil all drinking water, since they have a parasite (Cryptosporidium) in all the public drinking water. That is the kind of "disasters" that is likely in western societies. For the cases where evactuation is needed, the experiences form Katrina/New Orleans were that "copies of all important papers" was the most important thing to bring.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Must admit that TEOTWAWKI is not high on my list of worries. However, if it ever arose, my first thought would be to get the family in the car to head away from urban areas. And I do keep a minimal emergency bag in the car (meths/SW Trangia/few dried rations/knife/sleeping bag etc) in case of breakdown/bad weather etc. (Which reminds me, must put some more water bottles in the boot!)

However, surely one thing to think of is the car itself - sizeable 4WD would seem sensible (My Ssangyong Musso can happily run on 100% veggie oil as long as its not too cold, and has a huge boot), and keeping the fuel topped up with at least one spare container/Gerrycan of fuel on hand as well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Andy said "Must admit that TEOTWAWKI is not high on my list of worries. However, if it ever arose, my first thought would be to get the family in the car to head away from urban areas."

Do you think the powers that be would allow thousands of folk to go into England's green and pleasant land? Can't control folk who leave the towns, best move now Andy somewhere semi rural at least, off the target map, plan and stay put if it hits the fan.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Where are you going to bug out to in the UK? What about everyone else who will be bugging out as well - and quite possibly to the same location that you had thought of?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Where are you going to bug out to in the UK? What about everyone else who will be bugging out as well - and quite possibly to the same location that you had thought of?

That is of course the worm in the apple. Probably the best place to livein the UK would be somewhere on the Scottish East coast - Inverness or similar. Lots of woods, very lightly populated, very few mozzies/gnats and probably too far for the average Londoner or Brummie to reach without more than one tank of fuel! (An assumption here that probably 80% of the UK population lives in Birmingham or below!). Lots of natural resources (water, wood, edible beasties).

However, if one was really serious about all this, one would be better to get hold of a nice sailing yacht - a Wharram would be my choice. Cheapish to buy or build yourself, easy to maintain, very sea-worthy (often called the Landrover of the seas), plenty of living space and transcontinental range if necessary. And the seas provide the ultimate in self-sufficiency; if people can survive for three months or more in a little rubber liferaft from ad-hoc fishing/spearing and rainwater, then a decent boat would be total luxury!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE