Bug Out Bag, which one ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

I've been looking at getting a grab bag for a while now and was keen on the Snugpak one but having yesterday seen and handled one in real life it seems to have a shoddy manufacture and doesn't seem to look as though it would stand up to hard use over time. I will need to change the contents of the bag during different work situations, but the things I will need to have in it most of the time will be an A4 size clipboard and papers, an ipod classic ( or some similar small data holder ), a water bottle or two (1 litre nalgenes), a knackered old mobile and a couple of FN mags, preferably 4 but two will do. I'd like a small zippered compartment for vehicle keys if possible as well, and sometimes a lightweight waterproof goes in.

I was looking at this one, pic shamelessly stolen from the net :)

zuquty5e.jpg

Apparently it's a Helikon Wombat. Anyone got, and most importantly regularly use, one ?

Sp

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Don't really use that sort of gear, but I here that maxpedition are very good if your interested in them? :)

Hope this helps :).

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've had one for about a year and used it pretty much daily, albeit not in the role you envisage. Mine has been used as an Daily carry and travel bag bag, but I haven't looked after it and it's held up well and still looks good. You'll have no problems carrying the stuff you list with room to spare and the padded compartment has accommodated and protected both my iPad and my 13" MacBook nicely. It's well-made too. Perhaps not MaxP or Kifaru quality, but you aren't paying their kind of money for it either. Certainly better than Snugpak quality and Chinese knock-offs.
I think it's remarkable value for the price and I have had lots of Kifaru, MaxP, Mystery Ranch, Karrimor and Berghaus kit over the years, so I'd like to think my opinion is informed.
If you want any pics or more details, drop me a PM.

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Try the knock off maxpedition sabercat from china. They may need a few new stitches after a while but they are just as good and only 1/4 the price.
Find the shop called airsoftfighting on ebay.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Even though I'm not fond of the style, I have some maxpedition gear and it is certainly built to last. I'd highly recommend anything from them. It may seem pricey, but you get what you pay for.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
What bag do you currently use for your bits?
one thing to bear in mind with bag you plan to carry everyday is try not to go overboard carrying things you never use as before long you'll end up ditching the bag because of weight size etc and then end up missing the things you do need.
i carry a finnish gas mask bag and have for a few years and I'd be lost without it, it has all my daily bits for work in there four knives sharpening stone mashing tackle and hat and gloves plus a few other bits. Think same as you do with a full kit bag for camping trips do t carry what you don't need.
moral to the story is if you plan to carry it every ware keep it small!

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
I have one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Briti...Militaria_LE&hash=item5af12832a3#ht_335wt_721

I know its not everyones cup of tea, but the build quality is good and the price is great. I live in the Highlands of Scotland and have to travel to rural locations for work. I carry a few bits and pieces in it just in case I get stuck somewhere in the winter and have to spend the night in the car.

PS no relation to the seller, and not trying to boost his sales.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I have one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Briti...Militaria_LE&hash=item5af12832a3#ht_335wt_721

I know its not everyones cup of tea, but the build quality is good and the price is great. I live in the Highlands of Scotland and have to travel to rural locations for work. I carry a few bits and pieces in it just in case I get stuck somewhere in the winter and have to spend the night in the car.

PS no relation to the seller, and not trying to boost his sales.

I will look out for you now I know what you carry ;-)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Strongly recommend Maxpedition personally (but then, I would... I own practically every pack they make now)

You want to buy a pack that suits the gear you're intending to carry, rather than a pack that "looks cool". The Sabercat and its copycats won't suit your needs if you want to carry an A4 clipboard... their dimensions are all wrong for A4.

How do you want to carry it? Hand carry? Single shoulder? Two shoulders? Gearslinger style?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Agreed I've gone from one to another at the moment I've got the kodiak S and it's a great bit of kit.

I've got:
- Jumbo Versipack
- Twin Thermite Versipack (those are my EDC, by the way)
- Condor-II
- Vulture-II
- Doppleduffel
- F.I.G.H.T Medical Bag
- Merlin Folding Bag
- Fatty Pouch
- Volta Pouch
- 12x5 Bottle Pouch
- 10x4 Bottle Pouch

I could go on and on! Always go for Maxpedition!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I've got:
- Jumbo Versipack
- Twin Thermite Versipack (those are my EDC, by the way)
- Condor-II
- Vulture-II
- Doppleduffel
- F.I.G.H.T Medical Bag
- Merlin Folding Bag
- Fatty Pouch
- Volta Pouch
- 12x5 Bottle Pouch
- 10x4 Bottle Pouch

I could go on and on! Always go for Maxpedition!

I would be the same, my falcon and monsoon had to go so I could get the Kodiak. Swmbo has implemented a one out one in policy now when it comes to packs. ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Strongly recommend Maxpedition personally (but then, I would... I own practically every pack they make now)..."

I just picked up my first ever Maxpedition bag last week, I can see that it could be a slippery slope, very tough, very well made and thought out bags and pouches.

With regards to the OP, where are you bugging out from? Perhaps having a bag that didn't look like it contained all your cool survival stuff might be worth thinking about?

Additionally, Star Wars DVDs in a bug out bag, seriously? If you have to 'bug out' then you need to have the Lord of the Rings box set, not Star Wars. :)

collie

Jan 31, 2010
limavady N.I.
Just got a versipak after trying loads of different types,eg eastpak,jansport etc. Go for the maxipedition. I have already got the janus pouch to go with it. It has been commented on a few times and really allows for differenrt carry options for stuff. Wish i had bought the proper thing a lot sooner.
Eugene

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE