BUFFS - Good or.... ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
I'd never heard of them before, some years ago I had a small scrim scarf, but I was in a Go Outdoors store the other day and there was this huge section showing buffs, and really extolling how great they are, how useful, how you would be able to pick up beautiful women while wearing them etc. etc.

So...

Useful or not? or just another gimmick. (not terribly bothered about the picking up beautiful women as I'm married to one :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The woollen ones do a great job of keeping your neck/head warm and take up next to no space, so yes, quite handy.

Mrs sandbender uses one, I tend to use my shemagh.

:)

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got several but the merino wool one is probably one of favourite bits of kit, versatile and light, it pretty much always lives in my coat pocket.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I recently discovered they make a merino version, which I would prefer for its odour repelling properties. They're good at night if its cold out, pulled up over your mouth and nose, for warming the air you breathe and catching the condensation from your breath. Also good sweat rags and handy for keeping dust out. They're not essential and there are cheaper alternatives (a shemagh will do all of the above) but for the size, weight and ease of use... why not? :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I find my merino buff to be a splendid and very flexible bit of kit; does all of the above mentioned things well and weighs less than a hanky, what's not to like?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
buffs are great, however watch out picking up hot things with the polyester ones unless you actually like melted holes in your buff (found out the silly way :lmao:) there are merino ones which don't melt.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah great bits of kit I have several, you can pick up non branded ones on ebay for a couple of quid.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I know of them as snoods.
Good things, comfortable and useful.

M

I think snoods are different? I may be wrong (frequently) but aren't snoods like a doughnut of material (ie. double layer cylinder sewn end to end) whereas a buff is single layer. Making a snood warmer but a buff more adaptable?

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I used to use one to keep my hair out of my way when I was working/playing, but my hair was down to me elbows at the time as opposed to the 1 1/2" it is now.! this was in addition to a shemagh in colder weather.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
For me it's the issue headover for winter and a Buff for the rest of the year. Also very handy for a bit of extra warmth under a climbing or chainsaw helmet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE