Buffalo Superbag any users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

I've had a pair of the pile Buffalo bags since the 80's - I guess the predecessor of the Superbag? - and have been pleased with them. They're good tough bags, and easy to wash and dry at home, unlike a down bag. They're relatively bulky in your pack compared with a down bag. However, I have not used the bag with the Buffalo clothing as the inner bag; I use one, other or both bags according to need.

I have a lot of Buffalo gear: Special 6 Mountain Shirt, Trousers, Mountain Jacket, Hoods, Gilet, Windshirt, Mitts. Buffalo gear works for me.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used the system for years but it was always a monster to carry. Bought mine back in the eighties as well.

Easy to wash although as the kit pills up it gets less efficient, you need to brush it back into life a bit every now and again but even this has it's limits.

I bought it originally for using with a string hammock. You could thread the hammock through the bag and use it as a sort of "cocoon" systen reasonably well.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I've got the 4s outer and a special 6, worked pretty well in a selfmade shelter while it was minus 18° C outside. The 4s is too hot in summer, in winter the superbag will do a pretty good job at keeping you warm I think. Its bulky to pack, but you can be pretty confident that you will be able to sleep through the cold.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Check carefully... I think the manufaturers only recommend the supabag for cold, dry high altitude camping. It dosnt do damp low level camping... They suggest their normal bag for general use.... :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Buffalo superbag and various Buffalo tops and bottoms were my sleeping system throughout the nineties, I did occasionally use it in damp conditions with no complaints, usually in bivi bag though. A robust bit of gear but bulky and heavy.

These days I use the Woodlore bags, only slightly lighter and just as bulky. :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got the old Survival Aids version. Me and my wife use a bag each when wild camping and during Bushmoot. Very good bags, work perfect in a hammock. Warm as soon as you get in unlike conventional bags. Never used both together although intend to this winter! I have an old Buffalo lightweight 4 season outer that I used alot in the summer way back in the early 2000's as well.

Overall, very pleased with the system, only downer is the bulk. But I think the pro's beat the downs.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Thank you for the comments ,
My plan is to use it in lapland in a heated lavvu maybe with a jervens bag as back up .
hopefully the bag with breath out the condensation

Twodogs

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thank you for the comments ,
My plan is to use it in lapland in a heated lavvu maybe with a jervens bag as back up .
hopefully the bag with breath out the condensation

Twodogs

My Wiggy's bag deals with damp well and I chose it over the buffalo for damp conditions in the cold. It's a similar deal. Bulky, heavy old tech that works.

Very well made and thought out gear, made for this kind of stuff and highly recommended. It's almost becoming my arctic security blanket.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
One thing to be aware of with the buffalo sleeping bags is that you really need to get one that fits you if you want it to perform as it should. The fabric neither lofts nor drapes particularly well so if it doesn't fit well you're gonna get cold spots. As a winter system the shirt/sallopettes (spl?) in combination with a superbag should be good for some pretty low temps, in a heated tent with a jervans as a back up I think you'll be absolutely fine down to minus silly.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE