Buffalo Special 6 - astonished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I spent a really enjoyable day tracking otters and eagles up at loch fyne in Scotland a couple of weeks back.

quite dismal weather, intermittent sideways heavy rain, drizzle and wind in any and all combinations, temp was low double (10 or 11c) figures on the shoreline and probably less in the wind

the guide was wearing a buffalo special 6 top with nothing under it, he got drenched and had the side zips open as he was a bit warm.

I was astonished that by the time we had walked back to the car (5miles ish) he had completely dried out.
There was me in a underlayer, micro fleece and a goretex hard shell and I alternated between dry, cold, wet, too warm, wet and cold, or too hot and sweaty.

he appeared pretty much comfortable the entire time just by opening and closing a couple of zips.

I had heard of the buffalo stuff but was a bit dubious until I saw this one and it’s performance, and his was a few years old.

so I immediately went to lansdale in Farnham and tried one on, then purchased it.

I am off to wales the is weekend for some more wildlife photography and I hope the weather is filthy!

anyone else wear one?

I also wonder in dry but cold winter with a wool base underneath if it would work as well.

Any thoughts?

here are one of the otters I managed to photograph - spent about 3 hours laying on my belly in horrible weather!
F61B6516-932F-401C-BE17-97A8BA164720.jpeg

EBA867C0-1E07-40B4-B04B-4B8E37E1FD34.jpeg

Last edited:

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I’ve had one for over 15 years, it’s still a go to bit of kit for me. Worth its weight in gold, and it’s not the lightest or most compact thing to pack.

They work best when worn next to the skin, that’s how it’s designed to be worn. I’ve worn it over shirts and other base layers with no problem at all, although I think if you’re going to get soaked then you’re probably better off wearing it next to the skin as the manufacturer intended to feel the full benefit.

Great pictures by the way.

Last edited:

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
By far and away the best "camping" purchase I have ever made and one I would replace in a heartbeat if it got damaged. I have been out in rain but never got wet though I understand it's meant to dry in 15 minutes using body heat if it does get wet. Been out in -7C without feeling cold. Bit of a revelation in that even in deep winter in Southern England I have not needed a fire to keep me warm. I just wear a merino base layer underneath it but it's been designed to wear against the skin.

It also allows for a higher temperature rated sleep system to be used as it will compensate to keep you warm if you sleep in it. Why spend lots of money on cold sleep systems you only ever use while sleeping, clothing your using and benefiting from all the time your out there. Out of your whole camping system, half your budget should go on clothing in my opinion.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks you lot, I am looking forward to testing it.
I was really impressed how I meant the guide was able to just get on with the ‘work’ and not repeatedly stop to put on and off layers etc.
How does the outer hold up to sparks from the fire? I presume it’s a bit melty?

Reactions: Billy-o

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Yes quite melty. I have had to repair mine in the past with sniper tape. I also ripped one on barbed wire I sent it back to buffalo who repaired it for me at a very reasonable cost. Don't know if they still offer this service though.

Reactions: Billy-o

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes quite melty. I have had to repair mine in the past with sniper tape. I also ripped one on barbed wire I sent it back to buffalo who repaired it for me at a very reasonable cost. Don't know if they still offer this service though.
Okay, noted will just throw my cotton arktis smock over the top (b110) of sitting by a fire then.

how did they repair it? Just over sew it or replace the whole panel?

cheers :)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
They are good aren’t they! Got my first one in the 80’s, on my second now (the first was passed on to a friend, I think it’s still going) and I’ve still got an original windshirt.
Fire & Pertex don’t mix, my repairs were spinnaker repair tape with an added light smear of Stormsure, never needed redoing.
During the cooler months up here I will wear a merino layer under and I feel its an ideal combination for me. If I’m going to be working up a sweat then off comes the S6 and I’ve still got a comfy layer.

Enjoy your purchase, it’ll probably become a faithful friend.

Reactions: Toddy and MrEd

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I also have the salopettes, it’s my go to dog walking kit in winter.
If I’m honest I can sometimes feel the cold through the shirt and on those days I put the BAS Parka on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrEd

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
They unstitched the seam and sewed a new piece of material between the fleece and pertex attaching it to the pertex. you couldn't tell it had been repaired unless you were looking for it,

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
One of the best pieces of kit I have ever purchased, and one of the few things I would replace with the exact same model if something happened it. Doesn't matter if it gets torn or muddy, it will still keep working, unlike a goretex or a softshell.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Mine is 25+ years old now but still works like the day my girlfirend (now swmbo) bought it - it is looking a little tired i will admit with the odd scratch and hole but I wouldn't wear anything else when on the hill. It was a big leap to 'strip' an underlayer after living with the layering system for the rest of my life add to the fact the odd looks you get stripping off to don it while everyone else is putting on waterproofs etc but I wont go back!!

bearbait

Another + for Buffalo gear. I have several items, including their pile sleeping bag system. Been using it for decades. I generally wear a merino base layer T under the Special 6. The temps. have to be in low single figures (C) and / or strong wind otherwise I find it too warm. (I like to run cool when hiking.)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I keep coming back to this and nearly bought a hooded Belay jacket. Was going to revisit the whole project again this winter, but I have just seen a gabardine jacket with a paraffin wax finish plus what looks like the same lining as the Buffalo ... I am quite actuually stuck for choice :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got one about 3 years ago as a warm layer for when not skiing on a Norway trip. Layered up because it was just a pottering around warm layer then. I had plans to use it I winter dog walking and hiking. I only used it as intended when hiking.

I also tried it out in very heavy rain on my local dog walk route. That time over bare skin. It was amazing. This was raining stair rods. I got the hood after that. You must get the hood too! Otherwise rain down the neck. That was the only route the for the rain to get in over an hour in that rain. Amazing as even my best wet weather gear would have been uncomfortable in that. Water wicks up the sleeve and sweat dampens you out with hardshells, even paramo too!

IMHO wear without base layer if working hard n in the cold. If less strenuous i do not think it's warm enough. I don't feel the cold often but I remember a cool wind feeling like it was blowing through the zip area.

I'm not a fan of wool base layers and I can only think they'd mess with the pile capillary effect. I've read that the only layers to potentially work is big wicking synthetics. Polypropylene for example as it wicks a few hundred times better than nylon or polyester. Wool doesn't wick so much at absorb and lock away water.

Wrt layering underneath, buffalo say bare skin but montane says base layer. Montane is warmer than buffalo s6 shirt. I say synthetic base layer unless you're exerting yourself or the weather is not good. Then it is better next to skin.

BTW it's comfortable when wet. In know a guy who did the Yorkshire Dale's the peaks twice in less yuan 24 hours in mid winter for fun! He did it with just a buffalo Mountain shirt. He was out in a bad blizzard and very cold temperatures including 2 or 3am when it was -10C inside the building which had been heated until about midnight. A very hard frost indeed. He was the only one not cold but he was fair shifting and hardly stopping.

Did I say get the hood? When cold it's very snug wearing it and it is good to stop rain down the neckl oh and make sure it's as close to your measured chest size too. It needs to be as close fitting as possible to wheel.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I've had mine since 1997. Bloody ace bit of kit, don't come out that much, but it's the business in cold and wet conditions. Still made in Sheffield. They were popular with the OTC, rock and run did a discount event one evening and we cleaned them out of buffalo gear! The shop is long gone, but I'm still here.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I got one about 3 years ago as a warm layer for when not skiing on a Norway trip. Layered up because it was just a pottering around warm layer then. I had plans to use it I winter dog walking and hiking. I only used it as intended when hiking.

I also tried it out in very heavy rain on my local dog walk route. That time over bare skin. It was amazing. This was raining stair rods. I got the hood after that. You must get the hood too! Otherwise rain down the neck. That was the only route the for the rain to get in over an hour in that rain. Amazing as even my best wet weather gear would have been uncomfortable in that. Water wicks up the sleeve and sweat dampens you out with hardshells, even paramo too!

IMHO wear without base layer if working hard n in the cold. If less strenuous i do not think it's warm enough. I don't feel the cold often but I remember a cool wind feeling like it was blowing through the zip area.

I'm not a fan of wool base layers and I can only think they'd mess with the pile capillary effect. I've read that the only layers to potentially work is big wicking synthetics. Polypropylene for example as it wicks a few hundred times better than nylon or polyester. Wool doesn't wick so much at absorb and lock away water.

Wrt layering underneath, buffalo say bare skin but montane says base layer. Montane is warmer than buffalo s6 shirt. I say synthetic base layer unless you're exerting yourself or the weather is not good. Then it is better next to skin.

BTW it's comfortable when wet. In know a guy who did the Yorkshire Dale's the peaks twice in less yuan 24 hours in mid winter for fun! He did it with just a buffalo Mountain shirt. He was out in a bad blizzard and very cold temperatures including 2 or 3am when it was -10C inside the building which had been heated until about midnight. A very hard frost indeed. He was the only one not cold but he was fair shifting and hardly stopping.

Did I say get the hood? When cold it's very snug wearing it and it is good to stop rain down the neckl oh and make sure it's as close to your measured chest size too. It needs to be as close fitting as possible to wheel.

thnks that’s really useful, I will get the good to!

baselayers I have bamboo, and wool (merino) so will experiment with those - and look into polypropylene ones aswell :)

thanks

ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE