Buffalo or Arktis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2016
SALTBURN
As the title says i am wondering which one to go for the Buffalo mountain shirt or the Arktis one it will be used for when i am shooting, rabbiting, and out with the dogs in some pretty bleak places.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll chuck the Ridgeline Pintail Smock in the mix. I've no experience of either of your choices, but I'm well impressed with the Pintail.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Can't comment about the Artkis as I don't own one, but I do own a buffalo, and it is the bogs dollocks 😊 I've worn one for many years in the army, on the hills and in the woods of Scotland, and under my overalls on various Oil Rigs in the middle of the North Sea in the harshest of conditions for the last 4 winters, and I must say...nothing comes close for warmth and windproof needs.
The shell isn't waterproof as it is pertex, but is extremely quick drying, but hasn't been a major issue for me as it has always been worn under some form of waterproof clothing in wet conditions.
Buffalo recommend that the mountain shirt be worn next to the skin, and while this would undoubtedly provide the best warmth I have always worn a base layer thermal garment under it, purely for hygiene reasons (and also an extra wicking layer).
So I would say the buffalo shirt would be a sound investment. As I said, my current one is 4 years old, and is showing no signs of being ready for the bin yet, so it certainly gets my vote 🖒

Thanks,
Allan

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have both and whilst I haven't worn the Arktis one a lot I fell the Buffalo is better put together. But........try a Montane, over the head smock or a zipped jacket same idea as the Buffalo and Arktis. I have the montane jacket nice bit of kit go to jacket in foul weather, my Buffalo appeared to have eh....shrunk?

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Another one worth considering is the Snugpak Elite pile shirt - I've been very impressed with mine and had great use from it this winter. They are very big for the size so you 'll need to go down one in size but lovely and warm.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tested the behoozits out of Buffalo and it came up smiling... every item I tried not just their tops!
They still use a photo of me (taken during the review process) in some of their advertizing!
Best Double P kit - ever!
download (1).jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I can only recommend two, either a buffalo special 6 or the montane extreme.

The buffalo is a good bit of kit and warm, the pile is a bit softer than on the montane and seems to work better when used against the skin as intended, the waist adjust helps to keep it close to the body to keep wind out but wick sweat away. The cut is a bit boxy and can be tight at the shoulders unless you go a size bigger (This might just be me). The hoods are gash and aren't worth their money.

The montane is better cut overall with less arm lift when climbing etc.. it also has some nice features such as re-enforced elbows and forearms. The pile is thicker which makes it warmer but its standard microfleece type material at the collar and bottom of them hem, as well as under the arm to help with overheating , it also makes it look a bit better. The hood is excellent on these, and very warm. The zips are slightly more chunky and don't snag as much as on the buffalo.

I can also recommend the extreme jacket which i use as a warm layer for a walk, work, camping etc.. Its a bit more larger cut than the smock but is still very warm and the hood is still excellent. On my jacket the hood attaches with Velcro and poppers, but the smocks it's a zip (Don't know why).

If i had to choose i'd go for the extreme smock every time. Make sure to try it on (Go outdoors stocks them) then buy the correct size online, as they can seem a bit on the tight side since they're cut to hug the body neatly.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I can only recommend two, either a buffalo special 6 or the montane extreme.

The buffalo is a good bit of kit and warm, the pile is a bit softer than on the montane and seems to work better when used against the skin as intended, the waist adjust helps to keep it close to the body to keep wind out but wick sweat away. The cut is a bit boxy and can be tight at the shoulders unless you go a size bigger (This might just be me). The hoods are gash and aren't worth their money.

The montane is better cut overall with less arm lift when climbing etc.. it also has some nice features such as re-enforced elbows and forearms. The pile is thicker which makes it warmer but its standard microfleece type material at the collar and bottom of them hem, as well as under the arm to help with overheating , it also makes it look a bit better. The hood is excellent on these, and very warm. The zips are slightly more chunky and don't snag as much as on the buffalo.

I can also recommend the extreme jacket which i use as a warm layer for a walk, work, camping etc.. Its a bit more larger cut than the smock but is still very warm and the hood is still excellent. On my jacket the hood attaches with Velcro and poppers, but the smocks it's a zip (Don't know why).

If i had to choose i'd go for the extreme smock every time. Make sure to try it on (Go outdoors stocks them) then buy the correct size online, as they can seem a bit on the tight side since they're cut to hug the body neatly.

Tonyuk

If you're trying on in Go Outdoors and it's cheaper online use their price promise. They'll beat the cheapest retail price by 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you're trying on in Go Outdoors and it's cheaper online use their price promise. They'll beat the cheapest retail price by 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried that but its only if you have a discount card (5 ish a year) and if its the same product (including the same colour) They only stock a grey / red one im sure and i wanted a black one.

Ebay has them cheap at the moment.

Tonyuk

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
I too have the Buffalo. I'm on my second one after 30 years, not because it's worn out, but because I've grown a bit and it no longer fits me (my wife now wears my original). I too wear a light base layer underneath, because I find it a bit draughty without. I've worn the shirt and salopettes when doing my canoe safety test on Coniston Water with the snow down to the lake edge and been warmer than those in wet suits!

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
I've worn Buffalo, Montane, Arktis and Snugpak being ex forces I have worn them all over the world and without a shadow of a doubt I would return again and again to Buffalo. I have worn their trousers, windshirts, special 6 Shirts, Belay jackets and Hoods along with mittens and they are 2nd to none.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Own a buffalo wind shirt, use it a lot in the winter. Great base/mid layer combo. Keep away from thorns and fire. I have several anoying "pooks" from thorns catching and a bit of tea bag melt effect on the stomach....always wear a wool shirt over it now in bushes or near fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE