Buffalo or Arktis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Now that I've finally got one, Buffalo for me.
I've used a Rab Vapourise for years, but wanted something warmer for winter.
I also have the Craghoppers Bear Grylls top which whilst billed as reversible is essentially the same thing but not as robust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I would say the quality may weigh in Buffalos favour but theres not much in it. whenever I've seen Buffalos in the shops they've always seemed to have thicker pile material, but I've never bought one as they were always slightly more expensive than other brands that seemed to be identically made.
One of the Jackets Arktis did make that I was interested the :campfire:Fire resistant :campfire: Merino wool version, (they made some years ago). The idea that the wool in the inside won't melt to you if your clothes were to catch fire.
It was designed for military use (with likelyhood of explosions) but has loads of applications for people that spend time around or near campfires!

anyhow here just to chuck some more into the mix:

I currently use a Karrimor jacket which is exactly the same design and so far I'm very happy with quality and it's features! The version I have has Thumb loops which act as part time fingerless gloves! not the standard velcro cuffs.
also my version does not have velcro on the collar, so a hood isn't an easy add on, saying that I rarely used a hood on other versions.

and another very good look-a-like is Mardale, i've bought a 2nd in the past when the first died, in my mind are a pretty good budget version. They both lasted years of hard use. When I ordered it I requested longer sleeves for riding a mountain bike and they did just that, my sleeves were about 2 inches longer! they also did a mountain bike specific version my friend bought including reflective tape and even a crotch strap. you could also choose the outer layer, (other than pertex) I opted for a polyester/Pertex version which had thicker polyester on the shoulders and sleeves where the wear would be greatest. oldy enough the only holes that apeared after years of use were in those areas! perhaps Pertex would have been a better choice!

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some kayaking friend got a buffalo top to change into straight off the river in winter. Everyone thought they were a good idea because you could put them over your cag and everything even if wet. Then get your kit stowed before changing into dry once fully warmed up. Then the buffalo could be used over dry clothes while waiting for the car shuttle. The inner pile was dry by the time it went over your dry clothes. It's cold sat around so they were great.

Then one guy told us his mate worked at Mardale and could get staff discount. Next thing you know everyone had a Mardale for half the price of the buffalo smock and they did the same job. The buffalo guy was sick over his expensive purchase.

Personally I never got one. I had another clothing system b that worked very well for me. Plus didn't want to spend the money on an overpriced buffalo.

I've tried buffalo and Montane extreme smocks plus the jacket. IMHO the Montane is warmer and better hood (comes as standard not an extra). The buffalo top has a better design due to the excellent straps pulling it into the body. This means it should work a lot better and i can believe it.

One thing though they don't suit everyone. Like anything you won't know if it suits until you try it. I've wanted one but have my doubts it'll suit me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE