Buffalo Mountain shirt VS Special 6 ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
I know that the special 6 is a little longer and has the pertex 6 instead of 5 but I am wondering which is the better shirt?

Does anyone have experience with both, is the 6 alot warmer than the 5? Too warm for UK? Noticeably better water resistance?
Does the extra few centimeters make much of a difference?

Would just like a little bit of input before I buy one as I don't know which to go for.. they are both pretty much the same price too.

Any thing to add?

Thanks
Greg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had the 6 for about 8 years now, apart from a couple of pin ***** holes in it it's still as good as the day I bought it. The pile has flattened a touch but it still performs like it's new.

Great bit of kit but only for really cold weather.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
I have a decent waterproof shell which I'd probably have to throw on over the top in really bad weather anyway and for the same price I could get myself 2 or 3 nice warm fleeces.

Where and what do you wear them for?

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great kit.

Very warm though,good if you're not exerting yourself much.

Comes into it's own when hillwalking e.g.

If like me you sweat a lot when exerting,then it's long pit zips let a good draught in.
When raining it still keeps you warm,(I'd be soaked with sweat anyway).

Pertex 6 is worth it as it's quite a bit stronger material.
I've had both.

Still have one but don't use it near camp fire.

Tom.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I've got a Special6.
It's very warm indeed.

I've worn it comfortably, over skin, at around -3º in 30-40mph winds with driving snow.
OK, if you stop moving, you will cool down fairly quickly.

If it's above 0ºC, I get too hot without opening the pit zips.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have a special 6, very good piece of kit, I can only echo what has been said previously. I have used mine in my kayak and canoe. I am usually too hot without the pit zips fully undone, even in low temps and driving snow.

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
quick buy one now before the prices go up and the availibility goes through the floor because RM used on one the latest northern wilderness.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
quick buy one now before the prices go up and the availibility goes through the floor because RM used on one the latest northern wilderness.

haha, did he really? not seen the latest one I don't think..

Well I ordered a special 6 yesterday, thanks for input guys

I've used a special 6 and a mountain shirt. The pile got thin on my special 6 from using it so much and the mountain shirt is still going strong. But, for preference I've been using a Montane Extreme smock, it's like a Buffalo on steroids. it's even got a crutch strap to stop it riding up. Used it in Norway and in Scotland , toasty bit of kit, cheaper too as I remember

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE