Buffalo Mountain Shirt - Pack size?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Hi all,

Recently been looking at splurging and getting myself a Buffalo shirt, but no where, oh no where can I find any information on how well they pack down! Does anyone have any experience with them? My alternative purchase would be something like the Montane fireball jacket which I intend to go and check out in my local store (and I found one review which described it as packing down to "about the size of three large peppers" which I actually thought was great)
So yes, can anyone give me a rough idea of how small a Buffalo will go?
Cheers!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Pile is pretty bulky but it does compress a little bit. I have got my medium Buffalo jacket into a 3 litre dry sack but its a real squeeze so I would say the 5 litre dry bag is the better option.

The Montane and Buffalo are like chalk and cheese - the Montane is just a jacket where as the Buffalo is more of a clothing system. Montane make good kit but Buffalo's last forever. Pile / Pertex tends to be more durable than other synthetics but heavier too. Some synthetic insulated jackets aren't that warm.

Horses for courses I guess.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Thanks, yeah I guess I'm looking at two really rather different bits of kit. If only I could afford both... (lets be honest, I'm a student, I can't even afford one, but I guess I can cut back on my heating bills next winter if I wear it round the house!)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The buffalo isn't bad pack wise. i would recommend the special 6 instead of the mountain shirt. You get a thicker, more windproof material and its a bit longer overall.

Look into the montane extreme too. You can try them on in go outdoors. A bit nicer than a buffalo i think.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have a Montane extreme smock and it packs down to a bit more than 5 litres. What is nice is that you can use the hood as a makeshift pouch to pack the jacket into.

bearbait

FWIW I roll my Special 6 up into its hood for packing. Just measured it for you at at 28cm x 20cm x 18cm approx. uncompressed. If you had it in a dry bag or squished in your pack it would go smaller.

I rate Buffalo gear quite highly. As Limaed says above it lasts forever, and that has been my experience. Plus they'll repair their gear for you: I had a zip replaced on their Gilet after many years wear and tear for just a few pounds.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Thanks for the advice bearbait and thanks for taking the time to measure it (sorry it's taken so long to reply it's been a busy few days). I think I'm pretty set on getting myself a buffalo, apparently the waiting list is so long it'll be mid June before I can get one, though if people are willing to wait that long it's got to be a good sign!

Thanks all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE