Buffalo 4 season experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I have recently been looking at buying a new sleeping bag and the versatility/practicality of the buffalo 4 season system but I would like to hear other peoples experience/opinions of it before I buy it!
So does anybody have one and if so what do you think of it?
Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have the Survival aids version, plus a buffalo inner. I'm actually a very big fan of this system. Plus points - the bags are very easy to wash, centre zip, the zips for the arms are really useful for brewing up whilst still in the bag (and you can wear it like a coat if you want to!) - I think the buffalo bags still have this feature - apart from the liner, that is.. I've used just the outer bag for camping/sailing from spring to autumn, and with the two together in a bivi should keep you warm in most conditions England can throw at you in the winter. They also will keep you warm if wet, something that down certainly won't do.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I've got a Buffalo Superbag. Had it for around 20 years actually. Personally i love it. It's heavy for a sleeping bag - around 2kg - but it laughs at damp and condensation. The 4 season outers dont have the zips for the arms - only the superbag - and if you've got Buffalo gear - shirts and trousers - you can wear them to bed like pyjamas with the Superbag instead of using an inner so you can save weight. Go to bed soaking wet and wake up toastie warm and dry. The only reason i'd change mine would be to save weight however i'd rather sleep in a bivi than a tent and keep the Buffalo bag. After 20 years it's still got plenty of life left in it. Stuff it in a washing machine every now and then and it comes up as good as new. The best reason of all to get a Buffalo is at 4am when it gets cold and drizzle starts falling and you pull up the zip and snuggle down in the hood against the pile lining.....

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It might be big and a bit heavier than others but wants more important than a warm good nights sleep. My favourite sleeping bag. Definitely recommend

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use the 4 season outer with a cotton liner from nowish to octoberish, very comfy, no arm holes in the 4s(superbag only) nice tough bag, I mostly lay it ontop of my bivvie bag and mat, with out Te liner in its like sleeping UN an inside out bear! :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i use a 4s inner as a spring/autumn bag, it's heavy and bulky for the warmth but it's worth it for the comfort IMO

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Shame about the lack of armhole zips on the normal Buffalo bag - thats one of the great attractions of my Survival Aids kit (which, thinking about it, must be some 35 years old by now, and still looks and works (nearly) like new. There's nothing like getting up in the morning, sticking your arms out of the bag, unipping from the bottom of the bag to get feet out, and then wearing it like a big green dressing gown whilst you get a brew on:)

(or, for that matter, for the midnight trip to relieve oneself....)

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
So the only complaint is the weight, yes?
I'm not that fussed about armholes and wearing it because I have an alpkit filo to wear and that is the dogs. don't get me wrong it would be nice to be able to cook in my sleeping bag but it is not a problem if I cant.
Due to the lack of filling does that mean that it still insulates when compressed? Decreasing the need to use a mat?

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
The weight isn't really a cause for complaint, just something you should be aware of before you spend your money. My superbag weighs 2kg but a nice expensive lightweight tent and a nice expensive down sleeping bag wouldn't weigh more than 2kg together and you'd be living in comparative luxury.
I don't know about sleeping without a mat but the important thing is that unlike down the Buffalo bag insulates when it's wet as it's made out of the same stuff as the clothing. If you're asking for recommendations then i'd say that if weight isn't a deal-breaker then go for it as they're amazingly comfortable to sleep in.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I know its only a starting price but thats one hell of a deal!

ebay sale of buffalo bag,

nothing to do with me just really want them!

I don't really understand what's actually being sold there?
It looks like the super bag+the 4s inner+4s outer+the thermaliner? But the description is a it cryptic
If it is all of that then Blimey I might have to get it but the sizing thing is also discouraging, it sounds as though it is going to be to small.
Could anybody shed some light?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Mine are the XL size - unless you're "size-challenged" I'm not sure the small inners would be of much use...............

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
have a look at his questions and the answer, the system increases its season by fitting bag inside each other, the 4s inner and outer and the thermaliner are all sized so that if you buy a small in each they will fit together thermaliner inside 4s inner inside 4s outer, this lot can then fit inside a LARGE super bag(with the arm holes) to make one hell of a warm sleep system

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
OK then, that will be just to small for me :-(
Would I need an XL superbag to fit over a Large 4s system? Not that I ever would need that much warmth but it would give me a million and one options for usage!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have used my 4s outer winter camping in Scotland around Locindorb and walking the Findhorn river ,wearing special six sallopets and top, with mitts and hood and two pairs of woolly socks, then cotton liner, 4s outer, bivvie bag and been very warm and snuggy, in night time temps around -15oC:D

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I don't quite know why he's gone for the small bags - they're designed to fit by size - so a large inner fits a large outer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE