Buckwheat newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, very tasty. You can make a very tasty porridge from it. Also a crucial ingredient in Blinis, those small pancakes you eat with your Beluga caviar, Smetana and a sprinkling of finely chopped schalottes.

The Russians eat loads of stuff made from B.W.

Normal pancakes become tastier if you substitute some of the Wheat flour to Buckwheat flour.
Buckwheat bread is one of the best.

Note that it is not a Wheat sort, it is a totally different plant.

Did you buy the whole grains (- porridge material) or flour?

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Use it like pearl barley too, lovely in a lamb casserole.

This is is a recipe straight off the top of my head. Everyone likes pea and ham soup, or lentil and ham. This (usually with split yellow lentils for me), is a standard camping meal. Easy, quick and filling.

Fry bacon or ham, add chopped onion, add a handful of buckwheat, add water, add a Knorr ham stock cube. Simmer, eat. Dip bread if you want.

Its versatile stuff and tasty.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buckwheat has become a crop of great economic value in Canada. Probably cleaner than the Pacific Rim wannabee growers.
I've been baking and cooking with it for 40+ years. Look for Nunweiler's brand of Buckwheat flour.
In baking, you will get the taste and flavor with something in the order of 20% of the flour weight in the formula.
You might want to increase the leavening agent by 20%.

To my taste, there's a sharpness, a tang, to baked goods unrivaled by any other flour additives.
I won't use it in everything but as pancakes, for example, under a smear of good marmalade, the contrasts in taste are wonderful
with enough good coffee to go around that.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you have the whole grains, you can toast them and eat them like that. With a bit of salt they make a really nice snack. Just dry-toast them in a pan until going a bit brown. Once cooked and completely cool they keep for days if kept dry. I'm not sure how long they'll last, they get eaten fairly quickly. Over a week anyway.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Russian word for toasted buckwheat grains is 'kasha.' True, some people insist that _all_ buckwheat is 'kasha'.

At Christmas, I stuffed a chicken for roasting with cooked and seasoned buckwheat.
Very good but nothing at all like the taste of the buckwheat flour that I use.
Froze some extra just to see if it keeps that way. Frying slabs of it tonight.

Jan 12, 2017
NW, USA
One thing to consider, if you're eating it more than occasionally.
Like it's relative spinach it has a high oxalate content, so if you've ever had a kidney stone it's best avoided (otherwise it's fine).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE