Buckskin haversack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've never ever spent so much time focussed on one single project before.

this haversack was originally 3 manky looks bloody deerskins I have worked them all the way from that to this haversack.
I used Grain on buckskin (grain tan) for the gusset and lid as its more dirt resistant.
A ll stitched with buckskin thonging cut from the hides.
it has a decent capacity sufficient for a day's jaunt to the woods or if combined with some forethought and a bed roll it'd suffice for an overnighter once the weather gets a bit more pleasent

the masochist in me is now planning a rucksack and belt pouch to team with it
20200213_143315-01.jpeg 20200213_143334.jpg 20200213_143327.jpg

Attachments

• 20200213_143355-01.jpeg
    20200213_143355-01.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 35

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
What a great piece of work! You know the origin and every pore of those skins, and every stitch of the haversack is your own. There is nothing as satisfying as using gear you have made yourself. Every time you look at it, or someone asks you about it, you know that you would be able to give them absolutely chapter and verse about it. Keep up the good work :)

everything bar shooting the deer and skinning it was done by me.
i used eggs and a small splash of rapeseed oil as a brain substitute.
Hides were defleshed then bucked in lye solution.
i roughly followed the process detailed in "Deerskins to Buckskins by Matt Richards" including acidifying.
a few tricks learnt from friends and collegues may have been used too.
lots of hard work handsoftening and using cable as well.
i smoked the hides in a smoke tent in my back garden
all the lacing/thonging was spiral cut from circles cut from the buckskin hides.
all stitch holes were punched and i used an awl to open the holes to sew saddle stitch by hand

Reactions: Janne

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A lot of work gone in to that mate, I applaud you.
First thing I thought of when I saw the picture was 'I bet that feels lovely'.
It'd be great to see the results of your next endeavour!

Reactions: Man of Tanith

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a power of work there, Sam :)
Kudos, many kudos :D

It's a lovely colour, but you're going to be hard pressed to keep it clean, no ? especially if you're intending it for trogging about.
Does smoking add much in the way of showerproofing ?

M

Reactions: Man of Tanith
Mary
The grain on buckskin i used for the lid and gusset is more water resistant than standard buckskin, its also less prone to dirty marks.
also adds to the patina and "lived in" look.
smokin a hide doesn't do anything for showerproofing it's more for sealing in the tanning and softening. i have had it explained by Theresa to me many times but she "Sciences"me and apparently my eyes glaze over after a certain point :eek:

Dogoak
not gonna lie feels pretty good

Reactions: Toddy and Janne

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very impressive work Sam on all fronts. goodjob

I know you used scissors to cut the thonging and panels but did you use any other metal tools in its construction?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE