Bubble-wrap - uses when camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I was idly playing with a huge length of bubble-wrap that my latest ebay acquisition came in. Fighting off the wife and m-i-l from bursting all the bubbles, I thought that, actually, this is an incredibly light piece of kit that could be used as an insulator for camping. Maybe under a groundsheet, or between the ground and sleeping bag? It's ultra-light and waterproof, maybe not the most robust, but as a load-bearer under a tarp or sleeping bag/bivi?

Or am I talking out of my...hat....as usual?!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the condensation and breathability would be an issue if you used it as a mat, maybe using outside of the tent as a groundsheet would work well though. It doesn't pack down very well but nowt wrong with rolling it up like a mat I suppose.

I have slept on it for a week when we moved house last time, the beds were delivered late so I ended up crashing on a pile of it on the floor. SWMBO stopped at the old house though, can't think why.

If you get to try it let us know what you think, we get through loads of it at work, some of it has huge bubbles in too.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I have visions of you waking up to 'machine gun fire' everytime you roll over lol.

Better option would be the foil backed bubble wrap they use for insulating buildings. Especially designed to reflect heat and doesn't pop very easily.

S

steelyglint

Would it work between layers of a hammock as insulation to stop the cold back ?

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
The big bubbled bubble wrap, is a very effective lightweight sleeping mat.

yep tried it
but im a ****** and a turner, and every move is greeted with applause from popping bubbles, until you are sleeping on a sheet of flat polly
but maybe if I only weigh'd seven stone things would be different.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I know some stalkers carry a small bag stuffed with bubble wrap to use as a rifle rest. Doesn't weigh much, and easier than a bipod in heather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE