Bryophyte website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Hi

If there is anybody out there with an interest in all things mossy, we are currently putting up a website to help identify problem bryophytes! It is in its infancy e.g. only one moss up so far but more to come. Any suggestions welcome.

www.bryoecology.org :shock:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Ooooh, That could be interesting, especially if you can put some of thier uses down. I believe there is one for plugging wounds, another for lighting fires (tinder) another for carrying hot embers......
I'll be intersted to have a look :wink:
Rich

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Roving Rich said:
Ooooh, That could be interesting, especially if you can put some of thier uses down. I believe there is one for plugging wounds, another for lighting fires (tinder) another for carrying hot embers......
I'll be intersted to have a look :wink:
Rich

sphagnum moss is the one you are looking for i think rich

it has been used dried in making military dressing packs
highly absorbent and light

even fresh it has mild antisceptic properties and can be used to soothe sore bits from chafing shoulder pads or rubbing boots

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/mossph54.html

Tant

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
familne said:
Hi

If there is anybody out there with an interest in all things mossy, we are currently putting up a website to help identify problem bryophytes! It is in its infancy e.g. only one moss up so far but more to come. Any suggestions welcome.

Where'd you get the oild immersion microscope from? I've an old bresser biolam with a mechanical stage like this one...
M57-40H.gif

It's fitted with a x100 oil immersion, havent used it for about 10 years though - just cant bring myself to part with it. Microscopes are just too cool. :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Martyn said:
familne said:
Hi

Where'd you get the oild immersion microscope from? I've an old bresser biolam with a mechanical stage like this one...
M57-40H.gif

It's fitted with a x100 oil immersion, havent used it for about 10 years though - just cant bring myself to part with it. Microscopes are just too cool. :)

Martyn

That looks a fine sturdy scope!

I got one from brunel microscopes:
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/compound.html

I was a bit premature with putting this web-site up I think - I've been trying to get hold of a better microscope with proper camera attachments etc. instead of holding the camera to the eyepiece! Some more pics will be coming soon.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Got mine from brunel too about 12 years ago or so - I think it was about £350 with all the bits 'n pieces. I dont think they sell the bresser's any more. I wanted a trinocular head then, but didn't have the cash. I've been thinking about getting a head for it if you can still get em, so I can take digi pics of blade edges under high magnificcation (x 400 or so). I had thought it'd be a unique slant on knife reviews to have quality photo's of edge geometry.

Dont s'pose you know anyone who sell trinocular head that will fit my scope?

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Martyn said:

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm after a trinocular head myself - I've seen a few ex-laboratory Leitz scopes come up on e-bay which have tempted me, go for around 450-500, but I don't know how upgradeable they are.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
familne said:
Martyn said:

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm after a trinocular head myself - I've seen a few ex-laboratory Leitz scopes come up on e-bay which have tempted me, go for around 450-500, but I don't know how upgradeable they are.

Ahwell, I s'pose the search continues.

I used to work in a (public health) microbiology lab and had a standing "i'll have it" for any of the labs scopes. Some of em were out of the arc, but nearly all of em were Leitz and blimmin brill quality - made mine look like it was from toys r us. I cant comment on the fittings of the Leitz as we had a scope set up for each purpose/assay/bench so never needed to interchange parts.

Still, the bresser is servicable enough and does what it says on the tin.

How did you do the photo's then without a camera adapter? I havent even entertained that thought - but if it's possible?????

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
It is possible to hold the camera very steady to the eyepiece and take a semi-decent pic, the one on the site was taken this way! a bit of a hit and miss affair though!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well I found the makers website for my scope...

http://www.lomoplc.com/

And they do indeed make a trinoc head for it - the LOMO HT-30, which apparently fits all sorts of scops, not just LOMO's own - might fit yours too if it has a universal bayonet mount.

Now it's just a question of finding a cheap one somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE