Bronze for a bolster?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I'm after some bronze to make a bolster for my new Budd blade. I bought a chunk from moonraker knives but wasn't happy with the shape/thickness and when i heated it up to reshape it the thing just disintegrated. Does anybody have a good source for bronze? Any help would be great

cheers!

Dreadhead

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
8% tin bronze is hot short and can not be forged. 17% tin bronze (bell bronze) can be hot worked at 800C or thereabouts. There are numerous bronze alloys, many of them are not strictly bronze!

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Have a read of this, Hamish; forging the softer metals needs a different approach than steels, some good info here.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23194

8% tin bronze is hot short and can not be forged. 17% tin bronze (bell bronze) can be hot worked at 800C or thereabouts. There are numerous bronze alloys, many of them are not strictly bronze!

Thanks fellas that was my thinking that it's not 'true' bronze which seems to be difficult to find

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I know zero about metallurgy, but could you maybe melt down bronze fittings as used for (water? Gas?) and cast?
Internet says that Silicone Bronze and Marine Bronze can be forged, but must be worked when dark red only, or it will burn/melt.

You can buy bronze in different thickness and size from the finnish knife maker supplier Brisa ( www.brisa.fi)

Last edited:

Dreadhead

I know zero about metallurgy, but could you maybe melt down bronze fittings as used for (water? Gas?) and cast?
Internet says that Silicone Bronze and Marine Bronze can be forged, but must be worked when dark red only, or it will burn/melt.

You can buy bronze in different thickness and size from the finnish knife maker supplier Brisa ( www.brisa.fi)

Thanks I didn't think of Brisa. They have a small peice of bronze 5mm x 50mm x 100mm which should be perfect for a bolster or two :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks I didn't think of Brisa. They have a small peice of bronze 5mm x 50mm x 100mm which should be perfect for a bolster or two :)

I bought the thickest one, 12mm, , so I have more space to make misstakes on.
I am not sure what kind of Bronze it is, if it can be remelted.
Living on an island far, far away, the only ither alternative I have is to buy expensive marine bronze fittings, a Propane torch and try to melt it.

It is for my first knife making project in years.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I want to make my own bronze and while copper i easy to source for low cost, tin not so much. I have thought of doing an aluminium bronze instead!

Tin is easy to source, either ingots of the stuff if you want a large amount or look at lead free solder, 250g for around £8 that's over 99% tin and the rest copper.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Check the ingredients though, I don't think all lead free solders are the same.

Janne, do you know how to test for tin? I'd guess not all 'tin' is tin, and I have some old solder that the label has perished.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry, no clue. But I think most Tin cups ( and similar) made in UK have the tin content stated in a stamp on the bottom.
I remember from ages ago (1970's) back in Sweden that there was a warning that many cheap imported cups used for Mulled Wine we drink during winter contained high levels of lead.
The UK made ones were fine.

I made a fillet knife for my mum in the mid 70's, where I cast a fingerguard and end cap from Tin. (The handle is from compressed stacked leather. She still has it.)

I used an old tin cup I melted down.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Check the ingredients though, I don't think all lead free solders are the same.

Janne, do you know how to test for tin? I'd guess not all 'tin' is tin, and I have some old solder that the label has perished.

Just got some - 250g for less than £4.50 and 99.5% tin. That'll park on the bench for a few years before I do anything with it! :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nothing will be suitable for a bolster as it is, and those pieces are too small to work on. A ship/yacht/marine supplier will have other, larger pieces that a bolster can be fabricated from, but those are expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE