Bronze 'Flat' Axe Head

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey all,
Got a nice bronze axe head for sale here, got it at a bronze working demo a while back but only got as far removing the casting marks. Im led to believe from a previous sale of its twin that it is an un-hammered edge... :confused:. Dont know much about it tbh.

Anyway I'd like £35 including delivery and PP. NOW £30

axehead_zps320ec52a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Here it is in profile,

DSC_0721_zpsb0fb5946.jpg

'Flanged' was how it was described to me at the demo (as opposed to socketed). As I said I don't know much about the subject. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's not flanged, Copperhead. Well not as it's known in the archaeological record.
That's a flat axe.
The flat form is more like this
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/2000188

The flanged one though......
"The flanged axe is a distinctive Bronze Age form, introduced at the end of the Early Bronze Age that represented an attempt to improve the hafting mechanism of the axe head by creating a longitudinal flange combined with a latitudinal ridge to prevent the axe head from moving around on the haft while in use. With the flanged axe the flanges extend beyond the stop-ridge and curve back into the sides of the axe. "

Nice axe though :D

cheers,
Toddy

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for clearing that up Toddy, I've edited the thread title accordingly :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No problems :)

The earliest forms are almost parallel sided, while yours has a flared edge. I suspect that's where the confusion arose.

The development then led to the flanged ones (with several variations) and then to the socketed axehead and the socketed and ringed ones.

They are quite beautiful :D and there's a huge interest in them. The use wear analysis can even work out the cutting strokes of indivdual axes that were used on some sites; the crannogs for instance, or the continental lake villages, where the actual cutting marks are preserved on the water logged timbers, or the uluburun shipwreck, where a shaft-hole axe head was actually recovered, as well as both copper ingots and tin :)

cheers,
M

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Clicking on that link gave me a 'you're not authorised to access this database' and this picture :lmao:

103721206_21b00a0376_o.jpg

Nice to know the British Museum has a sense of humour :)
You can by-pass the gods if you use the search function.... it is nice to know that you can avoid interference from the gods....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE