bronze age gear dilema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
By all means - help yourself :)
Or I could send you a disk with the pictures on if you like.

I've got 'em, ta John. The president-woman is most impressed! I keep trying to get them to have one of our super-makers come and do a talk/workshop ... all too wretchedly WI at the mo :rolleyes:. I'm sure people would be fascinated if only we could get away from the boring old academe and into the "stuff".

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I agree with Toddy, if it is fir demos John then it should stay as an adze.

But ultimately if another cannot be sourced, I'd convert it to an axe. Especially if it will see more use.

Andy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
So I sharpened the blade by hammering it a bit thinner and then filing to a good convex edge.
Am I right in thinking that Bronze swords (and probably other edged tools) have their edges beaten to work-harden them? In which case would the filing not remove the harder edge resulting in the edge not lasting as long?

or is it copper I'm thinking of :confused:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi john
Have a look at these.
BronzeAgeToolsAndBoatBuilding

https://picasaweb.google.com/110598...key=Gv1sRgCKaG3bKgt7nQ_gE#5376231858475580674
These are them in use a few years back up at Loch Tay
https://picasaweb.google.com/110598...AndBoatBuilding?authkey=Gv1sRgCKaG3bKgt7nQ_gE

Bob
iQOm

You love popping these up Bob, 'cause I couldn't get to it. :rolleyes:
Good pics though.
GB.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Am I right in thinking that Bronze swords (and probably other edged tools) have their edges beaten to work-harden them? In which case would the filing not remove the harder edge resulting in the edge not lasting as long?

or is it copper I'm thinking of :confused:
Both (from what I understand) - so I hammered the edge to a reasonable thikness then put the final edge on with a file, not removing too much metal ... it seems to work :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the comments fellows!
All I need now is another axe head ... to make the axe.
Anyone got one going cheap or for trade?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE