Broken machete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a Tramontina machete but BENT the blade hitting a branch that was too tough for the tool...
I have also had Tram knives that left chunks of blade embeded in green ash when I tried chopping through them ...
Not my favourite maker....
I have a Martindale Golok that, after reprofiling the edge, making a new sheath and reshaping the handle, is excellent...but superceded by a vintage billhook....

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
why don't you buy a billhook?
i guess it is less "sexy" but it does the job,and it's easy to find...

I have two but I've found in a limited space, clearing brambles next to a fence, that the hook can catch on the brambles and whip them towards me.

For some jobs I use a billhook and other jobs I'll use other tools. After the experience I've had I'm unlikely to try cutting many branches either, I'll remember to use my saw.

Jul 6, 2010
Yorkshire
had the same problem with a fox Golok Gave this to my son for his birthday
He had the Golok for a few months and had not seen too much action with it, Just chopping firewood, etc, the blade is a very sharp piece of steel.
He commented that the handle is a little small and the piece didn’t have enough weight,. Unfortunately whilst pulling it out of a small tree it broke clean in two, the steel is very hard & brittle. Fox said it was mistreated, and it was our fault it broke, (it may be my son was a bit rough with it but he excepted it to be a durable tool) I have to praise Heinnie for their attitude towards this problem they (not Fox) reimbursed me in full at their discretion hence the reason I have just purchase another bit of kit from them the Chris Caine Black Micarta, better luck next time
(and I will make sure he handles this one with great care and respect)

You too huh.
golok.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE