Broken Hammock Stand

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have a tent up in my back yard and in that there is, OR WAS, a stand for my hammock. Not any more..... I was just sat in it thinking about swapping out the CCF mat for a blanket when I found myself dumped on to my rear end. Sore botty, ruined dignity and broken stand.

Thankfully I was not having a kip at the time?

BrokeStand2.jpg

What it should look like. This is the left of the stand stood on a blue bit of tarp/groundsheet. An upright on the left, foot at bottom and connecting piece far right

BrokeStand1.jpg

What the right hand end looks like now.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Well ..... that's just mean. For a while my botty hurted..... and your being mean.

I have heard of widow makers in trees but in my own back yard!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I met a lady in Salisbury hospital last year who's garden hammock collapsed. She landed on her back, a stone punched out one of her vertebrae and she was paralysed from the waist down.

Sorry, just thought I would add that.

Glad you walked away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I met a lady in Salisbury hospital last year who's garden hammock collapsed. She landed on her back, a stone punched out one of her vertebrae and she was paralysed from the waist down.

Sorry, just thought I would add that.

Glad you walked away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey, that is terrible. What's the fall frequency for woodland hammocking? ( possible poll opportunity)

And hammock man hope your bottys all better. Would greenwood, or metal be a better choice in future?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Had another look at the bit of wood stuck in the metal joint and there is a marked difference in colour across the broken surface. Must of been failing for some time! It was some years old and had been out in some bad weather now and again. Drawing up plans to replace it with an A frame based frame. When Kim so much younger we had a kind of cube shaped frame that we both hung from. This one will just be a single. 47mm by 47mm poles should do the trick.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hope your posterior and pride heal fast sir. Never good when a favourite bit of kit fails on you.

I used to have a hammock up.in the garden of my old house that I'd chill out in after work. My old wolfhound used to pop his head underneath and tip me out onto the ground without warning when he wanted to play.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Was it a homemade stand or a commercial one?

The fracture on that looks very similar to how my garden umbrella snapped. I have no idea what wood was there but it seemed that the wood grain had no real long strength to it and all fractured at the one point, just the same. Wondering if it could be the same issue.

How about switching the pole to metal scaffold pipe?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
In the end I used a 47x47mm post I already had and fastened two steel cable trays (£3.20 pair) to the sides for extra strength . The 4 corners had to be rounded off a bit and not shown in the photos I used some huge tiewraps to clamp the steel trays to the mounting hole/tube

newPole.jpg

MetalStrip.jpg

WoodInHole.jpg

I have laid in the hammock and the new pole did not make a sound so its a case of so far so good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE