Broad leaf Dock..Can you use it to wrap food for cooking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As the title suggests, Can I use Broad Leaf Dock to wrap food for cooking?
Any useful feed back would be appreciated!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi Greg

I reckon it'd make everything bitter and they're choc full of oxalic acid which apparently speeds up the formation of kidney stones. It wouldn't be my leaf of choice. Comfrey might be better, the french aare apparently partial to comfrey fritters so they must be relatively edible.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...l/oyster-and-comfrey-fritters-recipe_p_1.html

It appears HFW would agree...

Regards

Rob

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
My grandmother used to cook skunk cabbage for hours, it is full of oxalic acid and the cooking does break down the oxalic acid, but you need to cook it for a long time, at least 5 hours before ingesting.

Mahikan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Picked early it's a nice Spring vegetable for occasional use though.

If you mean to roll food in it and then eat it like vine leaves, then maybe not, but if it's just to hold stuff together to get it into a hangi or to steam it, I don't think it'd do you any harm. It's not as though you're going to do it day in day out.

Waiting to be shot down here................:)

cheers,
Toddy

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Hi Greg

Comfrey might be better, the french are apparently partial to comfrey fritters so they must be relatively edible.

My dad used to make comfrey fritters when i was a kid. It's one of the more pleasant things he used to come up with, along with ginger beer he brewed in a bucket. :) I was always fascinated how nice they tasted. When you look at a comfrey leaf they look furry but in a fritter i thought they tasted like warm spinach - which i am also partial to. I haven't eaten one for many years but every time i see a comfrey leaf i think..."hmmmmm".

I recommend them.

mochasidamo

Mar 8, 2010
Montgomery, Wales
Comfrey can cause VOD in quantity....liver failure. Growl...sounded too good to be true: got a huge bed outside the back door. Best carry on using it as mulch and stinky liquid feed. As stinky liquid feed it is indeed lethal and leaves one's clothes stinkier still :/.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Comfrey is a great herbal medicine! It's other name is knitbone, but has been shown to heal all sorts of other things, surface, tissue ligaments...The pyrolizidine alkaloids in it mean that it's now recomended to not use the root internally and use the leaf internally for up to 6 weeks at a time in regulated doses... And I'd second eating it but only in small quantity or very occasionally.

As to your question, have you thought of butterburr? MASSIVE leaves which were traditionally used to wrap pats of butter but are definitely big enough for other things... :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As to your question, have you thought of butterburr? MASSIVE leaves which were traditionally used to wrap pats of butter but are definitely big enough for other things... :)

Greg - Thats the one we saw in Llawhadden - on the end of the cottage by the little park..... and we could not recall its name!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE