Britton Wood Derbyshire weekend of 5 July 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My first visit and it was only for the Saturday - 6 July.

Vey quiet woodland of a good size, plenty of wood. Matt has a long term plan for the woodland which should provide more areas of clear ground.

I timed my arrival just right as Ged was preparing pancakes for everybody and demonstrating great frying pan skills:

1+aab++possible+2++2013+07+06_1113B.jpg

After the hard work of having a lengthy chat:

1+aa++possible+6++2013+07+06_1117A.jpg

we got down to some work which included Teepee/Pete leading on making a bearing block from natural materials - pebble, bit of wood and pine resin glue. Everyone helped with this in some way eg collecting the natural materials, melting down the resin, use of wood ash, moulding final glue to shape:

c++possible+++8++2013+07+06_1127C.jpg

Although Pete had done such a good job of carving the hole in the wood that we weren't actually convinced it needed any glue.

Pete also had a go at preparing pigeon breasts for the pot.

c++possible+9++2013+07+06_1131D.jpg

But I had to leave before it was cooked so I don't know how it turned out.

All in all a brilliant day and - as always - met up with great people from whom I learned something useful or interesting/reminded me of things I had forgotten. Hope to be there for a longer visit next time.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks very good :)

Edit - Just had a look at where it is - I could get there going over the moors from Shrewsbury and not have to do the dreaded M42 but enjoy some scenery instead. Would you keep me posted on happenings here as I'd like to come and join you?

Last edited:

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Your welcome to come and join us at any meet up the next meet is posted in the Derbyshire group section

Pete brought the pigeon to the wood

Matt

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thanks for posting Chris, some great photo's. The pigeon breasts ended up in a stew with some beef, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes and a variety of seasonings, it was pretty good :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE