British Trees

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
HI

I am trying to find a good resource for learning about trees. I know what a Yew and Silver Birch look like and am comfortable identifying a Cypress tree or pine, but then every gets a bit scary.

I have a great book on wood when buying from a timber merchant, but want to learn more about standing trees, what they look like, bark, leaves structure etc.

Plenty of pics, even better, as need a kind of idiots guide! I have been doing some carving, but lifes a bit tricky when you don't know what wood your using.

Adam

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ive got collins gem 'trees' thats a good book and can fit in your pocket
leon

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
Cheers Leon

Colins Gem books, why didn't I think of that?

Will have a look out for it. Does it also tell you some of their uses, or if poisonous etc.?

Been finding it hard to find a decent source, turning plenty of other interesting stuff up though!

Adam

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
Gailainne said:
Try in the flora and fauna section also schwuk is doing a identification series here somewhere, also just try a search on the forums in general, you'll get loads of hits and references to good books.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen

That is a clever idea as well. Just looking through that thread and tons of stuff.

Many thanks

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
cheers Jon

just checked it out and confirmed I have some Hazel logs scavenged from the bad weather we had last month.

easilyled

Oct 31, 2006
South Coast, UK
Nice one. A great skill to learn and knowledge to acquire.

Books are good, getting out there with a book is better but getting out there with someone knowledgeable is best.

Lime is what you need for carving. Soft and smooth it holds detail very well. You're only likely to find them in parks and gardens or lining streets rather than in woodlands as most have been planted by man.

Its got an asymetric heart-shaped leaf. The wood's a lovely creamy, buttermilk sort of colour.

D

Deleted member 4605

Thanks for the pimp Gailainne! :D I'll be adding a new tree this week, promise. :)

Apart from internet resources like British Trees the two books I recommend are Native British Trees and A Tree In Your Pocket.

And as someone who is actively learning tree recognition, my best advice is to not rely on a single source, don't be too quick to jump to a decision, and don't be afraid to admit you're wrong!

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
:You_Rock_

I will get those books as well as all the web info!

I have seen some interesting books about the history of trees and the effects on the British landscape, and crafts relating to different trees.

As a wise person once said, "Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, Seek what they sort!"

thanks for all the pointers.

Woodwalker, the cards sound interesting, if you manage to remember where you got them from, I would be very likely to get those as well.

Schwuk, you are right about not relying on just one source. I spent a bit of time trying to find out about woods to carve, with the intention of trying a Kuksa or spoon etc. Went to a timber merchant and bought an expensive off cut without checking what it was either. Needless to say, stupid thing to do, but after breaking what was fortunately a cheap axe, bought a book to identify the wood I had. Turns out I what trying to use a crook knife on a very lovely piece of European Oak. Great thing is I found this site in the process, every cloud and all that.

Although I now know that Kuksa are made from Birch, I want to know more about each tree more personally. What is it useful for, what damages them and how to avoid it, growth rates, is it poisonous to work with etc. Once I am done with trees, I will concentrate on the various plant, although I do use many herbal remedies and teas already.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hello, try this site-http://www.oplin.org/tree/ Tis is the "what tree is it" homepage.
The book I was recomeneded to buy for the Arboriculture course at college is Trees in Britiain and North America. Roger Phillps. Bought from Amazon, if I remember correctly was £12 or £16. Graet buy. Hope of some use

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Andy J said:
Hello, try this site-http://www.oplin.org/tree/ Tis is the "what tree is it" homepage.

I once found a book that was setup like that. Like an idiot I didn't buy it and I've never been able to find it again since. It would have made a great way to quickly identify trees in the field.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Hi Adam

I use Field Study Council guides. They are fold out guides/flow charts as opposed to books and great for cramming into the rucksack. Was using a few of them with my cadets on a Bushcraft weekend I finished yesterday. They are ideal for introducing identification but not definitive.

The first is the Tree Name Trail and I have been using it for years. I have many others and this is the full list . My favourites apart from trees are the ones on Fungi and Lichen.

The final positives is that they are cheap and laminated.

Cheers

George

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
if you look at trees in winter its the best time to id them as you dont have te leaves to confuse you , maples ,ash or horsechestnut all have oppisite buds if they are black its an ash if they are green its sycamore and if they are large brown and sticky then its horse chestnut see simple just look for sutle diffrences in them and you will be suprised at what you find out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE