British army pvc waterproofs or other cheap alternatives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Hi guys, I'm on the look out for a set of cheap waterproofs for walking and doing biology/ecology fieldwork for uni. I do have a ventile jacket but don't want to wreck it while crawling about peat bogs etc. I was going to go for some really decent gear this year but they have messed up my student funding this year money is really really tight and will be for the forseeable future.
I can seem to find plenty ex army gore-tex cheap but none in my size :( I'm 6'1", 36" waist and 46" chest so would need 180/112 size. Has anyone used the bog standard dpm army pvc waterproofs? If so, any good? Any other cheap but 100% waterproof alternatives? Had some really cheap and nasty stuff before but it leaked like a seive, thats why I'm looking at ex military gear.

Cheers, Davie

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
PVC is OK if you aren't moving much, so fishing, watching sports events etc.

the moment you start physical activity your sweat/body heat has nowhere to go and so you end up taking it all off to cool down thus getting wetter than when you started!

I use a army issue OG PVC jacket (pre dpm) which is ok for short periods, but mainly as it has massive ventilation holes and I don't wear waterproof trousers with them.

remember anything "surplus" may not be new or in good condition.

It may be worth considering wearing waterproofs under a boiler suit, so you still get the breathability but also protection from the boiler suit.
another option if it's really wet mucky cold work, a dry suit! I've used an army issue one for clearing ponds etc and it works well (but you do get sweaty!)

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Davie,
We use cheapo PVC workmans jacket trousers combos for maine biology students working on the shore and on mudflats. About £7 per set. If they get ripped - so what at that price. They also hose down easily if they get really muddy. Totally waterproof and totally non breatheable.
Usually get them from builders merchants or industrial wear suppliers

Nick

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This site is worth a look
http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr208.html

In the 60's most of us climbers switched from Ventile (it leaks) over to coated nylon anoraks. The nylon anoraks like the plastic jackets worked OK if your standing still, no real body sweat and totally waterproof. Then some thought went into the design factors and ventilation was improved and the performance of these jackets was very good. I remember having a Blacks PU nylon cagoule around 1971 which was fantastic, long and really well vented, it lasted me maybe a decade plus no real 'wet from sweat'.

Take a look at the link above though, Gortex and a good 'student' price :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hi guys, I'm on the look out for a set of cheap waterproofs for walking and doing biology/ecology fieldwork for uni. I do have a ventile jacket but don't want to wreck it while crawling about peat bogs etc. I was going to go for some really decent gear this year but they have messed up my student funding this year money is really really tight and will be for the forseeable future.
I can seem to find plenty ex army gore-tex cheap but none in my size :( I'm 6'1", 36" waist and 46" chest so would need 180/112 size. Has anyone used the bog standard dpm army pvc waterproofs? If so, any good? Any other cheap but 100% waterproof alternatives? Had some really cheap and nasty stuff before but it leaked like a seive, thats why I'm looking at ex military gear.

Cheers, Davie

I've had a bit of a rumage and dug out a DPM MVP Jacket in 180/112 and a pair of matching overtrousers in 75/96/112. They are used, but in good order with no holes, tears etc. If these are what you're after let me know and i can knock them out to you at a good price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE